Solved! Internet periodically disconnects with USB disconnect sound, and reconnects with location service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2019
I have an Asus GL503VS laptop running Win 10 Home. It periodically will disconnect from the internet for a few seconds, then reconnect. When this happens I also get the USB disconnect and connect sounds, and the location service activates in the system tray. There doesn't seem to be any pattern or trigger for it, it can occur minutes apart of hours. It also doesn't make any difference if I'm using a wired Ethernet connection or a WiFi connection. Most of the time it doesn't bother me overly as it quickly reconnects again but it's very frustrating while gaming.

Solution
Perhaps (in regard to the sound). However that sound could also be set on the computer to show any or a few disconnections, including both USB and WiFi. And also with the other devices. Some devices are way more sensitive to changes in the internet connection. Where one device may drop it the second the speed fluctuates a lot, others may not notices as quickly, leaving them not having any loss. The same goes for a modem/router.

The reason why I mentioned that first, rather than it being the computer, is that you said it happens on both WiFi and Ethernet. It is possible it is the card in the laptop that is the problem. It could be going bad. A way to test that would be (if you can borrow one rather than purchase) try one that connects...
Jan 13, 2019

Hi there, and thanks for your answer.

You'd think so, but it doesn't happen to any other machines using my network, which also rules out my router as the potential problem. Also if my net itself were disconnecting I wouldn't get the USB disconnect/connect sounds, would I?

Perhaps (in regard to the sound). However that sound could also be set on the computer to show any or a few disconnections, including both USB and WiFi. And also with the other devices. Some devices are way more sensitive to changes in the internet connection. Where one device may drop it the second the speed fluctuates a lot, others may not notices as quickly, leaving them not having any loss. The same goes for a modem/router.

The reason why I mentioned that first, rather than it being the computer, is that you said it happens on both WiFi and Ethernet. It is possible it is the card in the laptop that is the problem. It could be going bad. A way to test that would be (if you can borrow one rather than purchase) try one that connects externally via USB port. If that works fine, then your card likely is the issue and either it will need replacing or you will need an external (USB connecting) one. However, if that doesn't resolve it, then you are back to the ISP being the problem.

Solution
Jan 13, 2019

That's exactly what my concern is... that it's the computer's hardware, though I'd be surprised if both the ethernet AND the wifi hardware ended up with the same fault. I'm starting to think it's connected to my router however. I tried an experiement yesterday - I had my phone connected by wifi to my router and used the phone's "hotspot" to supply the computer also by wifi (which I can do as phone, laptop, and router are all dual band). In 5 hours of general use and gaming I didn't suffer a single disconnect. One day's not enough to prove it though - I'll try for a few more days. I will also try your suggestion of using a USB ethernet if I can find someone who has one they're not using. If it turns out to be that the router and computer just don't like each other, that's a simple fix

Feb 22, 2023
There is a serious bug in Avast Free antivirus program that can cause the internet AND usb-modem/dongle to disconnect after around 35 seconds, if the box "Scan new networks automatically" is activated (Under Settings - Protection - Network inspector). Unchecking the box will solve the problem, but you must then know that you're on a safe network before unchecking it. So let it run the first time and see the report then uncheck it untill Avast has fixed this bug.

Had this grave issue on two separate computers running win 7. The bug came with an update at the beginning of 2023.

rgd1101

Don't
There is a serious bug in Avast Free antivirus program that can cause the internet AND usb-modem/dongle to disconnect after around 35 seconds, if the box "Scan new networks automatically" is activated (Under Settings - Protection - Network inspector). Unchecking the box will solve the problem, but you must then know that you're on a safe network before unchecking it. So let it run the first time and see the report then uncheck it untill Avast has fixed this bug.

Had this grave issue on two separate computers running win 7. The bug came with an update at the beginning of 2023.
And this thread started 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.