Internet turns 40; AP Lists Key Milestones

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

As a regular reader, I must protest to the HORRIBLE POPUP! Not to mention that it's Bing...but I can't even close the damn thing to read the article. Shame on you Toms...thought you had more class than this.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
so let me get this strait.. they went to the moon AND started the internet in the SAME year? God the world was awesome back then. we are soo lame now, clearly we need another cold war or something...

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
"Originally named Arpanet, the network was an experimental project for the U.S. Department of Defense, initially exchanging meaningless data."

Some things haven't changed... ;)

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Matt87_50[/nom]so let me get this strait.. they went to the moon AND started the internet in the SAME year? God the world was awesome back then. we are soo lame now, clearly we need another cold war or something...[/citation]
Necessity is the mother of invention.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
As a mid aged person who saw internet since AOL 2.0 with dialup to this new thing called "high speed" I'm glad the internet is here. Everything from chatting, email, IM, message boards, Youtubes, filesharing, jpgs, webpages, web2.0 mobile computing, google.

The internet truly has opened up my world

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
[citation][nom]ubernoobie[/nom]happy early bday internet , I'll be sure to send you a link to a cake[/citation]

There is no cake, it is a lie. :D

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ravenware[/nom]There is no cake, it is a lie.[/citation]
First of all, awesome game.

Second, happy early b-day internet! I love you and have enjoyed the days we've spent together, bringing in knowledge and weird facts that I shouldn't know at this age. Your the best

G

Geez, I wouldn't have though so in 1999, but in 2009, the internet really shows it's roots as a defense project, since those defense/spy/spook types always wanted a way to spy on everybody, all the time, regardless of any wrong-doing. Now we socialize and post all of our personal info on Facebook so that the IRS/FBI/CIA/DIA/DEA/DOJ/SBI can mine through it for whatever purpose they want.

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]astrodudepsu[/nom]Wow, I didn't know Al Gore went to UCLA.[/citation]

For those of you who play it, the part of Civ 4 that always makes me laugh is the fact that Al Gore's mug is on the "Internet" tech research icon.

Happy b-day internet!

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]tommychan[/nom]I thought internet was orginated in Europe at 1980see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histo [...] d_Wide_Web[/citation]

I'd say that was the World Wide Web? its different to the Internet. the internet was the useful infrastructure.
the World Wide Web just helped advertising and n00bs go online and destroy it for the rest of us (online shopping's cool tho).

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]April 1996 - Tom's Hardware was founded.[/citation]

How could they forget this important date?

Think I started using the net often back in '98.

snarfeck

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
*sung in a seductive voice*
happy BIRTHday Mr. Internet
*slowly takes off shirt*
happy BIRTH[/b]day Mr. INTERNET

i don't know why i wrote this lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.