iOS 6 Jailbreak Confirmed, Launching on February 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
It was only a matter of time but, with the US jailbreaking leniency now no longer there (it ended on feb.1st 2013) it will be interesting to see if a lot of people still jailbreak phones.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]marcolorenzo[/nom]yeah i don't think the ban on unlocking applies to jailbreaking since you don't have to unlock when jailbreaking.[/citation]
They consider it a copyright violation. And Apple tried to get a copyright violation for jailbreaking iPhones before.

DMCA exemptions must be reviewed and renewed every three years or else they expire, I double checked and appently they renewed it in 2012. So in 2015 it may be a problem.

That was partly my error. But it doesn't change the fact that in 2+ years we might be facing that issue and given that they let the exemption expire on unlocking. I'm expecting them to do the same with jailbreaking.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I predict that, iOS 6.1 is just a decoy with so little changes.

Once the JailBreak is out, Apple will release iOS 6.2 or even 7.0 with a lot more functionalities.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
I don't think Unlocking your android or iphone should be illegal. Yes, you can put some copyrighted software on your phone. But not all programs are copyrighted, They just aren't always approved for Google Play store or the highly restrictive Apple Store, sometimes because google and apple don't get their cut.

chrisjust98

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]gggplaya[/nom]I don't think Unlocking your android or iphone should be illegal. Yes, you can put some copyrighted software on your phone. But not all programs are copyrighted, They just aren't always approved for Google Play store or the highly restrictive Apple Store, sometimes because google and apple don't get their cut.[/citation]

You have jailbreaking and unlocking confused. Unlocking simply allows you to changes carriers as you want. Jailbreaking/rooting is what allows you to install non-approved apps.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
[citation][nom]chrisjust98[/nom]You have jailbreaking and unlocking confused. Unlocking simply allows you to changes carriers as you want. Jailbreaking/rooting is what allows you to install non-approved apps.[/citation]

Either way, it's your hardware which you paid for. You should be able to do whatever you want with it. Rooting Android has many many benefits, and most people don't do it to steal apps, at least i haven't stolen any apps with a custom rom. I do it because i prefer a vanilla rom with all the crap and overlays removed.

Unfortunately politicians don't know this and they'll only hear one side of the story because there is no one to represent the little people.

Status
Not open for further replies.