iPad 2 Has Samsung Reconsidering 10'' Tab Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
They should just charge $50 over the price of making the device, and boxing it with all it's junk and shipping etc.

Or they should sell another model "Barebone Kit" with just the device and a charger/box.

Then everybody's happy except Samsung because they think $50 profit on 20 million+ devices is a bad profit ($1 000 000 000)

Greedy fools, I'd be happy with $20 profit ($5 on top of everything it costs to make it and box it with everything + shipping) especially if I planned on making millions of these devices.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Wonder if they'll make a wifi-only version of the 10.1"... I'd totally go for that. I see no reason to have a data plan for a tablet when my smartphone already has one. Just another way for phone companies to extort money from you i guess.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Then everybody's happy except Samsung because they think $50 profit on 20 million+ devices is a bad profit ($1 000 000 000)[/citation]

Hahhahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha

hahhahahahahhahahahahhaahhaahahahaahahahahaha

Sorry, I just thought I heard someone suggest Samsung will sel 20 million tablets.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]HahhahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhaahhaahahahaahahahahahaSorry, I just thought I heard someone suggest Samsung will sel 20 million tablets.[/citation]

Gotta love people who exaggerate like me eh? I should probably set that back to 1 Million.

G

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 specs are actually very competitive with the iPad2. In fact, except for the thin part, the Galaxy has the iPad2 beat. Galaxy Tab 10.1 is lighter at 599g vs 607g, has higher resolution screen. Stereo speakers vs. mono...who wants to watch a movie or listen to music in mono these days? let's see...Galaxy Tab 10.1 has an 8mp camera on the back and 5mp on the front..iPad2 has a VGA camera on front...which is crap...vga??? that was like 10 years ago. Rear camera is the same crap camera they have in the ipod touch...it's a crappy still camera...like 1 megapixes..and captures 720p video but you'll notice Steve didn't spend any time going over it during his presentation of the iPad2...because he didn't want to call attention to how sucky the cameras are in the iPad2. Finally, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 has a bigger battery than any of the android competitors and is the thinnest of all of them as well as lightest. Only the iPad is thinner but as I've just shown...it's beaten by the Galaxy Tab 10.1 on specs in just about every way. Did I mention the 1GB of ram in the Tab vs 512mb in the iPad2? http://GalaxyTabForum.com

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]HahhahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhaahhaahahahaahahahahahaSorry, I just thought I heard someone suggest Samsung will sel 20 million tablets.[/citation]

Samsung sells like 1 million tabs every month, you clown.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
I"ve always steered away from tablets & netbooks etc preferring a desktop in my room and looking at the fields, architecture and nice girls when I'm outside. However, these faster, more capable tablets are starting to interest me and I could see myself buying one in the near future, so I think sales figures could be very high & wouldn't put a number on it.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
People shouldn't be recoiled about the 700€ price tag of the Galaxy Tab 10.1. Prices in Portugal are very different from USA. The iPad here also costs 700€.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
'The Galaxy Tab 10.1 specs are actually very competitive with the iPad2. In fact, except for the thin part, the Galaxy has the iPad2 beat. Galaxy Tab 10.1 is lighter at 599g vs 607g, has higher resolution screen. Stereo speakers vs. mono...who wants to watch a movie or listen to music in mono these days? let's see...Galaxy Tab 10.1 has an 8mp camera on the back and 5mp on the front..iPad2 has a VGA camera on front...which is crap...vga??? that was like 10 years ago. Rear camera is the same crap camera they have in the ipod touch...it's a crappy still camera...like 1 megapixes..and captures 720p video but you'll notice Steve didn't spend any time going over it during his presentation of the iPad2...because he didn't want to call attention to how sucky the cameras are in the iPad2. Finally, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 has a bigger battery than any of the android competitors and is the thinnest of all of them as well as lightest. Only the iPad is thinner but as I've just shown...it's beaten by the Galaxy Tab 10.1 on specs in just about every way. Did I mention the 1GB of ram in the Tab vs 512mb in the iPad2'

I remember being idiotic like you, once. I thought that having a higher megapixel camera, or more RAM would actually help, and I bought a Samsung Omnia instead of an iPhone. What a ridiculous fail that was.

Here's the punchline: all of those numbers mean NOTHING. The only relevant factors are what the software does, both visually and in response to your feedback, and how it feels to hold. With the massive app store, the thinner and lighter feel, the better build quality, and most importantly, the better user interface and response to touch, the iPad is just in a class of its own.

If you want 1gb of RAM and an 8mega pixel camera, buy a budget pc and a webcam.

If you want a tablet which just works, get an iPad.

nofu

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
This just goes to show these clowns don't really know what they are doing. Instead of copying apple products, they should copy apple's strategy, ie. making great products people will just love to use. The only thing which will save their asses is that there is enough apple hateboys who will always pick anything but apple even if it has crappy TN display, ugly design and no apps, say something like Xoom.

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
[citation][nom]babyfacemagee[/nom]Galaxy Tab 10.1 is lighter at 599g vs 607g, ...[/citation]
Some specs are meaningful. Some are not. I challenge anyone to distinguish between the two based on the 1/3 ounce weight difference.

pwjone1

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2005
It is interesting to me that Samsung and others seem to be "surprised" with the Apple iPad 2 pricing. We're still paying quite a premium for tablets, a laptop with bigger screen, keyboard, bigger battery, more expensive CPU, still retails for less. Granted, the further miniaturization adds some cost, but still, seems a lot of room for lower prices. And Apple in every other segment is generally more expensive. In Tablets and iPhones, Apple can probably afford to cut margins because of their App store model. So if I were Samsung (or another prospective competitor (Moto)), I'd just reprice at something lower than Apple is at, and then try and match them on quality of screen, etc. Don't worry the nitty little details, tablets will be 50% of their current price points within 3 years.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]They should just charge $50 over the price of making the device, and boxing it with all it's junk and shipping etc.Or they should sell another model "Barebone Kit" with just the device and a charger/box.Then everybody's happy except Samsung because they think $50 profit on 20 million+ devices is a bad profit ($1 000 000 000)Greedy fools, I'd be happy with $20 profit ($5 on top of everything it costs to make it and box it with everything + shipping) especially if I planned on making millions of these devices.[/citation]

Has nothing to do with Greed. you might be happy with it but you have to understand the amount of cost associated with not only building a device but supporting the device as well. When companies provide a cost to build they are talking about components. you still have manufacturing costs, support costs, employee costs, ongoing development costs, marketing costs (to build awareness), packaging cost (which is also significant), and then R&D costs that have to be payed for. All of that and you still have to have the unit at a price point consumers will pay for.

We are not talking about 1 person in their garage making each unit in 5 minutes and then dropping it in a box filled with popcorn and shipping it out. There there is allot that goes into this. This stuff is not easy to do.

This is why Apple buy's up things like screens in bulk. To get the best per unit pricing and this is also why Apple is buying component manufacturing companies, so they don't have to pay the markup.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Wow, that was a good one.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]'The Galaxy Tab 10.1 specs are actually very competitive with the iPad2. In fact, except for the thin part, the Galaxy has the iPad2 beat. Galaxy Tab 10.1 is lighter at 599g vs 607g, has higher resolution screen. Stereo speakers vs. mono...who wants to watch a movie or listen to music in mono these days? let's see...Galaxy Tab 10.1 has an 8mp camera on the back and 5mp on the front..iPad2 has a VGA camera on front...which is crap...vga??? that was like 10 years ago. Rear camera is the same crap camera they have in the ipod touch...it's a crappy still camera...like 1 megapixes..and captures 720p video but you'll notice Steve didn't spend any time going over it during his presentation of the iPad2...because he didn't want to call attention to how sucky the cameras are in the iPad2. Finally, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 has a bigger battery than any of the android competitors and is the thinnest of all of them as well as lightest. Only the iPad is thinner but as I've just shown...it's beaten by the Galaxy Tab 10.1 on specs in just about every way. Did I mention the 1GB of ram in the Tab vs 512mb in the iPad2'I remember being idiotic like you, once. I thought that having a higher megapixel camera, or more RAM would actually help, and I bought a Samsung Omnia instead of an iPhone. What a ridiculous fail that was. Here's the punchline: all of those numbers mean NOTHING. The only relevant factors are what the software does, both visually and in response to your feedback, and how it feels to hold. With the massive app store, the thinner and lighter feel, the better build quality, and most importantly, the better user interface and response to touch, the iPad is just in a class of its own.If you want 1gb of RAM and an 8mega pixel camera, buy a budget pc and a webcam.If you want a tablet which just works, get an iPad.[/citation]

Tech specs and usability, application availability, and community support are very different things. You can have something that is absolutely terrible technically but if you nail everything else and the community loves it, it will outsell everything. Nintendo Wii ring a bell?

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Apple will destroy these idiots. When an executive VP describes his product has having "parts that are inadequate" they are in big trouble. I think that in general that competition is very good for the industry, but right now, the industry is grappling with a company that is simply years ahead in management, technology, the web, content, design, and quality. The biggest fear these companies should have is this...with the iPad clearly in a position to win in the tablet race, what are else they working on?

MikeyP41077

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Hey Joytech22

Have you ever heard of research and development? Company's spend billions on this. They need to actually make money back somehow. I don't want to pay huge money nor does anyone else but It is what it is. The cost of doing business.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]TEAMSWITCHER[/nom]Apple will destroy these idiots. When an executive VP describes his product has having "parts that are inadequate" they are in big trouble. I think that in general that competition is very good for the industry, but right now, the industry is grappling with a company that is simply years ahead in management, technology, the web, content, design, and quality. The biggest fear these companies should have is this...with the iPad clearly in a position to win in the tablet race, what are else they working on?[/citation]

Yea, that statement says it all. Just goes to show that specs on paper does not mean quality overall. It just means specs on paper. But their are allot of things that are reduced to save cost while still providing the specs on paper. Specs also are a marketing method. Somewhat technical buyers buy based on that information. Just like the whole Mhz thing a while back when AMD released the Athlon that did 3 bits of work per mhz and then Intel came out with the P4 that only did 2 but raise the mhz number so everyone would think it was a faster chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.