iPad App Downloads Beats All Android Tablets Combined

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Lol, Fandroids are the worst fanboys there are. iSheep look at my Nexus, say cool and act like normal people. Why don't you basement dwelling permavirgins try it sometime?[/citation]
Is it just me, or does anyone else hear a note of desperate insecurity every time someone disparages anyone else's sexual prowess on an anonymous web forum or comment thread?

I mean, don't get me wrong; I'm sure your MacBook has played an instrumental role in your long series of sexual conquests of the hipster women that frequent your local Starbucks. It's just that, when you write stuff like that, it sounds like the only woman who has ever touched you was your mother.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]I mean, don't get me wrong; I'm sure your MacBook has played an instrumental role in your long series of sexual conquests of the hipster women that frequent your local Starbucks.[/citation]

Nah, it's just the type of behavior that these fanboys engage in points to deep frustrations, and being mostly guys, let's face it it's most likely sexual frustration. I can't believe anyone can hate a brand so much to go foaming at the mouth all the time. I've never owned an Apple product but I'll most likely buy one, just to annoy idiots who can't shut up about how much they hate Apple.

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Maybe I haven't been exposed to a large enough control group. But amoung my friends I've noticed the Android users don't use half as many apps. My iPad friends though seem to have every sound board app under the sun, and amazon/ebay/etc apps despite having a 10" device with a web browser.

Just saying, it's what I've noticed.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
1. Apple tablets have had more than 50% market share for 3-4 years, developers have been working there longer, it would be understandable that they would have higher sales. Android tablets have only started to cut into apples market share in the last 3 - 6 months, it's like comparing 2 golfers scores when one is only on the 2nd hole and the other is on the 14th, doesn't make sense since you do not yet have enough information to compare them.

2. This article is only covering the Google Play store ... the largest seller of Android tablets in the last year was Amazon, and they have their own app store. To make this statistic match up they would have to compare iPad app sales versus Google Play, Amazon App Store + Barnes Noble Apps. Android allows 3rd parties to sell apps independent of Google.

3. A large number of apps that are paid on Apple are free on Android (ex. Angry Birds). The article says above that is confirmed the number by looking at total downloads and the amount of money made. Since may apps on the Android market make their money from ads versus charging the customer it seems that this comparative analysis doesn't make sense since the markets work differently.

4. Lets have this conversation a year from now, and include all of the markets available on the Android platforms instead of providing an incomplete statistic. Then it will be an apples to apples comparison.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]If you aren't interested in the article, then don't f@#$ing read it. And go take your stupid comments else where. Since when is the google play store "not" a closed system just like the Apple App store? Same for the Amazon kindle "closed eco system" I haven't used the App Store since I own no Apple products, but I have an Android smart phone and tablet and so I have used the google play store. I fail to see the logic in those that think one is closed and the other is an open system. Is that because google will let anyone upload something to the play store without it being checked to see if it is hackware, a virus, or any other harmful program? Most of the stuff on Google Play sucks. (I suspect the same on the Apple app store too). All if this is highly overated. But one is just as bad as the other. And there seem to be a lot more "Android and Google sheep" than their ever has been "Isheep"[/citation]

Android apps is not a closed ecosystem because you can choose who you buy your apps from. On my Asus Transformer prime I can decide if I want to buy my apps from the Google Play store or from Amazon App Store. Sometimes Amazon has deals, other times its cheaper on Google Play. The choice is the difference. An app developer could choose to sell their apps directly without Google or Amazon, the platform allows it. On my phone I have 3 stores Google Play/Amazon App Store and my Verizon App Store (though not as much choice here).

It is always better for a consumer when there is the potential for competition and choice, it creates a real market.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]wilem_WAR246810[/nom]Zak will post anything that glorifies Apple these days[/citation]
Apparently, like the other iHaters, you don't read much. Zak Islam writes even negative stories about Apple. He is obviously the Apple beat writer for Tom's and is doing the job they want him to.

Whether you or any iHater likes it or not, Apple is a leading tech company. As such, they have their place on any technology site if it's not dedicated solely to one platform, and Tom's has never been dedicated to one platform.

It's so funny, I don't see the hatred coming when articles like this are written about Android apps. Not to mention the original article was on Cnet. Tom's often writes articles based from other sources so it's a "one stop" sort of place.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
A long-time colleague of mine developed a successful iOS app a number of years ago. It took him the better part of 3 months to develop it, and he is now bringing in enough on this app (and its subsequent offshoots) that he quit his day job. He then spent a few months about 2 years ago to port the app over to Android and posted it on Google's marketplace.

He only got a few downloads, about a quarter of what he got on the iOS AppStore, but within a month, he saw his app on several other sites, and absolutely nothing coming to him. So he hired a lawyer, but was faced with a dead end when the lawyer told him that the sites were hosted in countries where he had no legal recourse.

Instead, after nearly half a year of almost nothing for his efforts to keep the Android app development up to date with the iOS app, he decided to stop developing the Android version and concentrate solely on the iOS app, since it was at least paying the bills (and then some). How long before more and more developers discover that the only way to develop and get paid is to either only develop freemium apps (which are hit-and-miss, at best), or buy into the closed garden that Apple is supporting?

Piracy is a huge issue on Android, and to a smaller degree, on iOS with jailbroken phones. Sure, free is nice, but only if you are a consumer. The folks that develop the apps need to eat too, even if the development is a labor of love.

wilem_WAR246810

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Apparently, like the other iHaters, you don't read much. Zak Islam writes even negative stories about Apple. He is obviously the Apple beat writer for Tom's and is doing the job they want him to.Whether you or any iHater likes it or not, Apple is a leading tech company. As such, they have their place on any technology site if it's not dedicated solely to one platform, and Tom's has never been dedicated to one platform.It's so funny, I don't see the hatred coming when articles like this are written about Android apps. Not to mention the original article was on Cnet. Tom's often writes articles based from other sources so it's a "one stop" sort of place.[/citation]

Jeez can't you take a joke? Honestly I agree Apple news is tech related but more often than not this Zak Islam guy posts stuff that are just not worth calling news

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
[citation][nom]boyabunda[/nom]Zak Islam is Christian.[/citation]

I always thought of Zak as a Granny Smith ... maybe a Braeburn.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Houndsteeth[/nom]A long-time colleague of mine developed a successful iOS app a number of years ago. It took him the better part of 3 months to develop it, and he is now bringing in enough on this app (and its subsequent offshoots) that he quit his day job. He then spent a few months about 2 years ago to port the app over to Android and posted it on Google's marketplace.He only got a few downloads, about a quarter of what he got on the iOS AppStore, but within a month, he saw his app on several other sites, and absolutely nothing coming to him. So he hired a lawyer, but was faced with a dead end when the lawyer told him that the sites were hosted in countries where he had no legal recourse.Instead, after nearly half a year of almost nothing for his efforts to keep the Android app development up to date with the iOS app, he decided to stop developing the Android version and concentrate solely on the iOS app, since it was at least paying the bills (and then some). How long before more and more developers discover that the only way to develop and get paid is to either only develop freemium apps (which are hit-and-miss, at best), or buy into the closed garden that Apple is supporting?Piracy is a huge issue on Android, and to a smaller degree, on iOS with jailbroken phones. Sure, free is nice, but only if you are a consumer. The folks that develop the apps need to eat too, even if the development is a labor of love.[/citation]Can't people on iOS also pirate apps if their phone is jailbroken? Aren't there also sites that give or sell iOS apps they don't own the rights to? Isn't it possible his app would not have made it on iOS like it didn't on Android? Is it not possible there was another similar and more popular app that did what his does on Android and that's the reason his app didn't catch on?

zzz777

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
I don't get the comment about the authors religion... am I missing something? Maybe it's some subtle but badly worded joke but try as I might I can't see how this statement, as humour or whatever, applies to the topic.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Can't people on iOS also pirate apps if their phone is jailbroken? Aren't there also sites that give or sell iOS apps they don't own the rights to? Isn't it possible his app would not have made it on iOS like it didn't on Android? Is it not possible there was another similar and more popular app that did what his does on Android and that's the reason his app didn't catch on?[/citation]

If so, the argument that Android is more open breaks down.

Also, with iOS, even if possible, it's significantly, significantly less common.

And to the guy who asked why not compare 'all the iPads' to 'all the competition' - the iPads are from one manufacturer. The competition is multiple manufacturers. Thus it is clearly significant when one manufacturer achieves more downloads/sales than the rest of the manufacturers combined.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Yes this article is a waste of space...but so are more than half the articles on any internet news site. They have to fill the slow hours with something. As always, Apple articles receive by far the most commentary on THG, so until that changes, we are going to see more and more of these waste-of-space iArticles.

That said, I noticed a funny correlation awhile ago and this is a great place to share it...

Remember the wave of articles last year about the "studies" that, in essence, tried to claim that smarter people use Apple products? Have you ever compared the top 5 downloaded apps on iOS vs. Android? It's hilarious. Here's a general example:

Top iOS apps:
1) Angry Birds
2) Words With Friends
3) Fruit Ninja
4) Facebook
5) Twitter

Top Android Apps:
1) PdaNet
2) Chrome for Android
3) Swiftkey
4) Dropbox
5) Evernote

That right there says it all. Unless Angry Birds is really a new form of IQ test that we don't know about.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Well since a lot of the forum-goers here dislike any article about Apple that is not decidely negative then of course Zak is unpopular with that lot. Since he's charges with writing Apple related news (obviously) I don't see what he's doing that so many here seem to have a problem with.

Can someone explain how he should carry out his journalistic responsibilities of covering Apple-related happenings in a way that you would find more appropriate?

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]If so, the argument that Android is more open breaks down.Also, with iOS, even if possible, it's significantly, significantly less common.And to the guy who asked why not compare 'all the iPads' to 'all the competition' - the iPads are from one manufacturer. The competition is multiple manufacturers. Thus it is clearly significant when one manufacturer achieves more downloads/sales than the rest of the manufacturers combined.[/citation]Ohhh the Apple watcha is back. All the comments here have an excellent point. There are multiple Android markets to purchase apps from that should be included in the tally. Why would you NOT want to include those other markets in the total App downloads? Then again, logic escapes the most hardcore apple fanboy the world has ever known - watcha.

Status
Not open for further replies.