iPad Hacked to Insert Verizon MiFi Device

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
So, are you telling me ATT lied on their commercial with Douche Wilson, where he downloaded a pic of himself, and the ATT one came in quicker?

"Is Apple actually interested in providing the best service or not?
If it is then why haven't they signed up Verizon instead of AT&T?"

One big answer to that one - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

G

Some very good modding work, though I wonder if the mifi board is going to cause any heating or electrical issues in the ipad.

Very cool though.

I bet that guy builds his own PC, even if it is a hackintosh!

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I assume he will have to find another hack to put in an aftermarket battery as well, since Apple has stated to replace a battery you have to send the device in to them and get a different iPad in return.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
How many people has Apple sued for buying a retail copy of OS X and installing it on their home computer? I can count the total without using any fingers. 0. They aren't going to sue anyone for modifying their products as long as you aren't trying to commercialize them and jeopardize their business.

Axiotron has been in business for years and the only thing they do is modify Macbooks/Pros into slate style tablet devices. Apple hasn't done anything to them because the company has already purchased a laptop from Apple. If Axiotron was building their own tablets and installing retailing copies of OS X it would be a different story.

Apple doesn't care about people doing stuff like this.

G

Must have crappy ATT signal there, around Harrisburg I get up to 1800kbps while my buddies droid on verizon is just over 1000 or sometimes less.

For this guys area, it seems well worth it due to his signal reception but not all areas are the same, such as mine.

G

It really depends on where you're at, what speeds you get. I used to live in an apartment complex in a 'richer' area in town. I would get crap speeds on ATT 3G. I recently moved to the bad part of town and to my surprise I am getting constant 4.49 mbps and 332 kbps (uploads always seem capped at 40 KBps in dayton). I'm figuring the tower I'm connected to doesn't see much traffic, I only moved 3 miles. I imagine ATT service is much worse where there is a highly populated area able to afford data plans, that's one advantage of living in the ghetto, no one's using up the bandwidth

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Ok, maybe that was too harsh, nah, not really.

I can't wait till we can pay a single price for data on all devices. The cell companies just rape people, course the people let them get away with it.....

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Because Axiotron bought Apple hardware and put Apple OSX on it.However, Psystar took Apple software and put it on non-Apple hardware.Psystar got properly f**king ass-raped by Apple, if this person was to even think about a commercial enterprise then expect the Apple Cops to decend on him with all the fury of Steve Jobs mighty Ban-Hammer.[/citation]

Quite a different matter. The difference between Psystar and this guy is that Psystar sold their "solution", whereas this guy modded his own device for his own benefit and not as a market solution to earn money.

If I buy a device I may very well do whatever I want with it as long as it doesn't harm anyone else. If I want to rebuild my iPad to a toaster or change the screen to an OLED then I am free to do so and Apple can't do squat about it. But if I put in an OLED and start mass producing it for the sole purpose of selling it to the masses then then Apple have every right to stomp me.

Either way excellent mod. Apple should take a cue from this guy and do the proper upgrades for iPad 1.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.