iPhone 3GS Discoloration May Not be Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
you know, heat can accelerate oxidization of some paints, plastics and protective coatings. Alcohol would only remove the damaged finish and it may do it again. As for the sticker, there is no oxidation where there is no oxygen. Its not the whole case that changes color but a portion in the shape of where the battery is.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
[citation][nom]Soldier37[/nom]..white iphones are for girls and sissies(homos). Should have bought black, wouldnt have any issues.[/citation]

People whth homophobia always make me wonder if they are not actually 'closet' homosexuals. And then to classify women and homosexuals together in the one sentence makes me wonder about you in particular!

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
funny how when a decent or good product comes out, everybody has to search and search for a problem with it so they can bag on it for being too expensive for them. now im not an apple fanboy, considering i dont own anything apple cept a first gen nano that has been sitting in my drawer, but i do think that apple makes very decent products, maybe a little pricey, but so does lexus, audi, bmw, and others. and as with most (not all) things that are more expensive, they give better performance. so leave apple alone, just because your jealous you didnt think of it, or cant afford it, doesnt mean you need to find anything to talk sh*t on it for.

im dont ranting now :)

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]O RLY?You'd think Apple would have had "beta" tested this before RTM.[/citation]
They realized they don't need to actually test products anymore, they know sites like Toms and Wired will publish OMG SEXYCOOL IWANT articles until there fingers bleed regardless of quality, price, etc.

Nobody before this realized that there brown leather case (any case really) can bleed color when its exposed to liquid (your hands leave a corrosive oil, humidity, body sweating, etc) and heat (body heat, just coming off a charger, 95+ temperatures, etc.) The same thing happens to cards in cheap wallets.

[citation][nom]Jane McEntegart[/nom]...include instructions and tips on operating your iPhone in extreme conditions...[/citation]
You need to recheck what "extreme conditions" really are. Temperatures of 95F to 100F are normal living temperatures for summer in most of the world. I wont complain about the 32F lower limit, that's pretty normal for anything with an LCD screen.

G

LOL! Maybe they shouldn't have used a cheap @$$ case for their precious.

Seriously I bought my AT&T Tilt for $300 when it came out, because I finally wanted something nice that I worked for, and I loved it. Bought the black 32 GB 3GS 2 weeks ago and I love all the different things it can do, more than my Tilt (Never owned an Apple product and was on the fence about getting it, glad I decided to get it in the end).

I evaluated my needs and I needed internet on the go. In my area the cheapest mobile internet connection was $60, so the iPhone plan was cheaper considering what I needed (phone and internet).

I can attest that my phone does not get hot, and I tested how much I could stress it by: having it charge from 10% left, playing an intense graphic game that streams content over wifi (or 3g, it was using wifi in this case) while using bluetooth. The device was less hot than my Tilt got when charging and talking on the phone. >_>

lukeiamyourfather

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Why does this make the headlines? If any other phone or any other consumer electronics for that matter experienced a slight discoloration over time, nobody would give a crap. Everyone is now dumber and a tool for reading this news.

G

Poor product for non demanding customers who paradoxically worship it... Pretty much the same weird behavior that makes the world the strange place it is..

apache_lives

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
[citation][nom]lukeiamyourfather[/nom]Why does this make the headlines? If any other phone or any other consumer electronics for that matter experienced a slight discoloration over time, nobody would give a crap. Everyone is now dumber and a tool for reading this news.[/citation]

i think its more because it drastically changed color (a matter of weeks) and heating was a side issue that seemed to be related?

Perhaps apple needs a shortcut (like volume down + power) or something to flush out any background apps, and/or flush ram to save resources, aswell as adding a reboot schedule so at 3am when its not being used it resets and goes back to fresh for the next day etc.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]iMug? quick! before someone else steals your idea![/citation]
haha can you imagine a quick google of "imug" gets you this result...
http://www.imug.com.au/

it's already taken... lol

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
People actually call tech support because something like a phone changes color? Wow people are picky! Or is it just the Apple crowd? :p

Anyway... let's all get our pitch forks and protest in the streets! Some mobile devices are changing colors!

Status
Not open for further replies.