iPhone 3GS Gets HD Video Recording Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
there has never been a paid iPhone OS update so I highly doubt it. 99% of iPhone users won't know this hack exists so it's of no concern to apple

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Why bother? The optics are tiny plastic garbage on almost every phone I've seen, including the iPhone, and every Android device I've seen too. Megapixels means absolutely nothing without good optics. Like those 8 and 10 megapixel point-and-shoot cameras - completely pointless. An old 5 megapixel DSLR will take better photos than a 10 MP point and shoot.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Why bother? The optics are tiny plastic garbage on almost every phone I've seen, including the iPhone, and every Android device I've seen too. Megapixels means absolutely nothing without good optics. Like those 8 and 10 megapixel point-and-shoot cameras - completely pointless. An old 5 megapixel DSLR will take better photos than a 10 MP point and shoot.[/citation]
Agreed. It's funny to see new camera's sold with 10+ MP for 200 bucks or less when it's all about the lens itself. People play the number game and think their getting something when they're not.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Why bother? The optics are tiny plastic garbage on almost every phone I've seen, including the iPhone, and every Android device I've seen too. Megapixels means absolutely nothing without good optics. Like those 8 and 10 megapixel point-and-shoot cameras - completely pointless. An old 5 megapixel DSLR will take better photos than a 10 MP point and shoot.[/citation]

that may be true in most cases, but you have to look at it this way.

dslr costs a crapton, regardless of how old, except when they are so old that the mid range consumer grade take better pictures. now here is the thing. allot of cameras and camcorders are take absolute crap video. if the camera is moved at all, the video blurs to no end, forcing you to use a tripod if you want anything half way decent.

however with the new wave of hd on cellphones, they aren't taking half bad shots.

and so you know, give a pro a disposable camera and he can take a great shot, give an amateur a top of the end, and they cant take anything worth saving. its all about how they are used.

darkwingz24

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
+1^ It frustrates me to no end when people complain that the phones 'only' have a 5 MPx camera! Seriously? That's already overkill. You're just filling up your storage with sensor noise at that point. Please... Better optics > more Mpx.

sudz

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I've installed it. a 20 second video was over 50mb... but is a noticeable improvement. Darkness is slightly better as you have more resolution... so the dark smear of grain is actually visable as an object. :)

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]darkwingz24[/nom]+1^ It frustrates me to no end when people complain that the phones 'only' have a 5 MPx camera! Seriously? That's already overkill. You're just filling up your storage with sensor noise at that point. Please... Better optics > more Mpx.[/citation]Yup, it seems people love to get scammed with these things. Just like the, now defunct, video-game bit wars and the GHz wars...

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
The phone cameras are pointless because the quality is dubious, even though they've come a long way. But point and shot cameras are not pointless, they have their purposes.

- First they are much lighter than any dslr.
- Second they are much smaller.
- Third they are cheaper than a dslr.
- Fourth most of them are much easier to operate than a dslr. You have to remember that many people out there don't know squat about photography. All they want is a picture that looks good to remember a moment. A point and shot camera is more than able to do that (way more able than a phone) with the added ease of use and can still fit in the pocket.

I have a DSLR and a point and shot camera and I use both depending on the situation.

G

The problem is not only the optics.

The sensor size and type plays a very important role. DSLR have much larger sensors than typical compact cameras. That means much more light reaching each pixel.

G

One more thing...

No one carries a DSLR ou even a point and shoot constantly in their pocket.

I take much more pictures with my phone than with my camera because I carry my phone wherever I go so, STOP COMPARING THE TWO! Its a matter of convenience.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
They have to factor in cost, portability, durability, etc. You could make a phone as good as a DSLR, but that would be a camera with a phone attachment that would serve almost no purpose to anyone while costing much more than either one separately. A phone is used for its primary purpose, being a phone, the camera is just a cheap addon for convenient photo taking.

apoq

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
You couln't be more false in your statements. You apply your own oppinions about technology to the general consumer market, as if they were valid in that setting. Just because you go to all the trouble of carrying a phone and a DSLR camera does not mean that everybody would be prepared to do that, even if they would know the benefits. I for one wouldn't. Its like asking everybody to write their documents using LaTeX, or write their own autobackup scripts, just because its your speciality/hobby. I very much like the idea of carrying around something i can just use to take a decent photo or a video and not having to carry around two backpacks, one for my DSLR, one for my Red digital camera. You don't always have to use specialized equipment, if you're not a professional.

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

While i agree with you in terms of video phones, anything above 5 megapixels on a phone is just pointless, they do not have the optics, iris and also use massively undersised sensors for the matter to take decent quality photos,

but i disagree with point and shoot comments, as compared to a phone they have considerably better optics as well as an iris and also tend to use far larger sensors in comparison to a phone due to the increased real estate in the device, while most will not be capable of near DSLR quality (namely the flush body optic point and shoots) they can still take some very decent quality pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.