IPhone 3Gs sound problems.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

im15

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
hello everyone.
ive had my iphone for just over a yr now and havnt had any problems till now. the sound has just randomly stopped working! it will make the clicking sounds when i put my password in sometimes but then just wont work. ive pushed the home button twice, scrolled across to the volume bar and i dont get to set it. its not on vibrate. if i use the buttons on the side to turn it up, it just comes up with a picture of the speaker and thats it. however if i go into sounds and lets say choose a ringtone, i'll pick one and it will preview the tone no problem. but if i play my music, nothing. ive restored it, done a hard reset, put my headphones in and out of the jack repeatedly and nothing. if im in music and pull the headphones out, the volume bar just dissapears.
help would be greatly appreciated.

IOS 5.0.1
iPhone 3Gs

Solution
this is a software issue, so many peaple have the same issue and hardly any ones got the solution. here is what to do, for this to work you need to be jailbroken, go to cydia and download a program called IFILE. when you have downloaded this program open it and go to >SYSTEM >LIBRARY >LAUNCHDAEMONS, scroll down the list and find a file called, com.apple.iapd.plist, when you have found this file MAKE SURE it is the exact file. swipe across it and when you see delete press it to delete it. double press the home button and close ALL. apps in multi tasking. now reboot your devise. YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE OVER. I have solved my issue on my iphone 4 running 5.1.1 firmware

Saucytii

Estimable
Apr 4, 2015

Thanks that was driving me mad and I finally have it fixed thanks to you!

Frankies

Estimable
Jul 3, 2015
I recently "lost" the speakers on my 3GS , could only communicate in conference mode i.e. loudspeaker . I cleaned out a lot of fluff from the earphone jack socket and the docking port and it appears to have fixed the problem . As this is quite an old phone I should imagine the problem is common to other models of this type due to age/dust/fluff . Hope this helps someone else .