IPhone 3Gs sound problems.

im15

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
hello everyone.
ive had my iphone for just over a yr now and havnt had any problems till now. the sound has just randomly stopped working! it will make the clicking sounds when i put my password in sometimes but then just wont work. ive pushed the home button twice, scrolled across to the volume bar and i dont get to set it. its not on vibrate. if i use the buttons on the side to turn it up, it just comes up with a picture of the speaker and thats it. however if i go into sounds and lets say choose a ringtone, i'll pick one and it will preview the tone no problem. but if i play my music, nothing. ive restored it, done a hard reset, put my headphones in and out of the jack repeatedly and nothing. if im in music and pull the headphones out, the volume bar just dissapears.
help would be greatly appreciated.

IOS 5.0.1
iPhone 3Gs

Solution
this is a software issue, so many peaple have the same issue and hardly any ones got the solution. here is what to do, for this to work you need to be jailbroken, go to cydia and download a program called IFILE. when you have downloaded this program open it and go to >SYSTEM >LIBRARY >LAUNCHDAEMONS, scroll down the list and find a file called, com.apple.iapd.plist, when you have found this file MAKE SURE it is the exact file. swipe across it and when you see delete press it to delete it. double press the home button and close ALL. apps in multi tasking. now reboot your devise. YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE OVER. I have solved my issue on my iphone 4 running 5.1.1 firmware

jackebacon

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
According to me it is the great alternative to completely replace the iPhone service point is the fact that you do not re-enter the cell phone all the information back. Think you get all the applications you love, or enter your phone all your friends and family contact information for how long.

im15

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

thankyou for your input, but that cant be the issue. if i go into sounds then choose a ringtone, it still gives me the tone, but if i go into music, nothin. i cant adjust the volume, because the slider bar dissapears. i noticed this recently too, when i put it on silent then take it off, the sound icon comes up, i quickly adjust it, the picture dissapears and wont show up again. i then repeat it and the volume had gone down like i could still controll it but it just isnt playing it for me.

ht617

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
i had a sound problem with my iphone 3gs. i lost ringer, key sound, speaker really all my sound. believe it or not on the side of the phone above the two volume buttons there is a ring/silents switch. i turner it off and on twice and guess what? All of the sound came on. I must have by accident hit this switch. good luck.

jesster925

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

Awsome that was my problem!!

h11rry

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
this is a software issue, so many peaple have the same issue and hardly any ones got the solution. here is what to do, for this to work you need to be jailbroken, go to cydia and download a program called IFILE. when you have downloaded this program open it and go to >SYSTEM >LIBRARY >LAUNCHDAEMONS, scroll down the list and find a file called, com.apple.iapd.plist, when you have found this file MAKE SURE it is the exact file. swipe across it and when you see delete press it to delete it. double press the home button and close ALL. apps in multi tasking. now reboot your devise. YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE OVER. I have solved my issue on my iphone 4 running 5.1.1 firmware

Solution

im15

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

You. I would just like to let you know, that I love you. <3 For YEARS this has hassled me! I can't thank you enough! Hahaha! But just out of curiosity, if this was a software problem, which it obviously was, why wasn't it fixed when I restored it multiple times?

h11rry

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
You. I would just like to let you know, that I love you. <3 For YEARS this has hassled me! I can't thank you enough! Hahaha! But just out of curiosity, if this was a software problem, which it obviously was, why wasn't it fixed when I restored it multiple times?

im15 my friend I don't know why it didn't solve the problem but I can tell you one thing I was soooooo close to throwing the phone against the wall, after months of research I could not bileave that soooo many people have this issue but there is no permanent fix, one morning when the baby woke me up and couldn't get back to sleep I trolled the net again and finally found a permanent cure which I have distributed and hope it works for every other person with the same dialema

im15

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

I went through so many forums looking for an answer before I eventually gave up. I was lucky enough to look at my previous questions and realized there was an answer to this one. I'll spread this answer to as many forums I can find. Thank you so much again.

Colorado7K

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

Please HELP. I am new to iPhones. I bought an unlocked 3gs and am using it in South America. Recently I have been experiencing the same sound issues that you addressed. The reset solved the problems temporarily but now the phone has gone crazy and the mute takes effect repeatedly and refuses to reset. This phone has been upgraded to is 6.1.3 and I have experienced no other problems...aside from missing calls and messages due to the sound shutting itself off.
I tried to access your solution above... cydia... through safari search but came up empty. Can you walk a complete novice through what I must do to solve this apparent software issue. Gracias.

kristyneeley

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
Follow this utube video that shows you exactly what to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry2u0uG_Crc
Mine is still not working as it is jailbroken but I cant get my firmware to downgrade (even following instructions). AH>>> But hope it helps you!

puggreen2998

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

Beverly Walden

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

OMG...You fixed my phone, Thank You SO Much....I was getting so frustrated, I didnt know this switch was even there....Thank You Again !! Easy Fix Thanks To You! ;-)

igrokit

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
This happens occasionally to me too. I've done the reboot, shutting down all apps etc. but it doesn't often work. Sometimes just plugging it into a charger has reset the volume issue. Might work for those who don't have a jailbroken phone or can't get that solution to work. Just recharge the phone for a couple minutes. Good luck!

here_soon

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

I just want to tell you guys that this guide helped me. My speaker is now working 100%. Though my Cydia is not functional, I've failed several times before successfully Jailbreaking. This may be the cause.

aggelosy

Estimable
Mar 14, 2014

You either have to:
1. Replace Dock Connector
2. Fix Microphone on the inside

DeadManDeaD

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014

H11ry!!! Thanks!