iPhone 4 Cable Catches Fire, Burns Owner's Hand

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
The zombies are not going to wake up unless we go to some of their forums & cry ourselves hoarse. But why should we care anyway?
Way to go Apple

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I charge my Blackberry by usb and it never even gets warm. The list of defects with the new iPhone is getting longer everyday.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
"were not due to overheating but external force applied to the devices."

so... don't touch it, because the device explode
don'T touch it else you lost the signal
what's next? don't touch it because the screen will cut your fingers? :)

mindspring

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
stupidity above everything else. IF the phone is 'smoking' and the port has melted to that condition, why would you still pick it up

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
On my USB charger cables, the white insulation always seems to pull down and expose the wires. Being that I have had this happen with three different cables, I would suspect it to be a more widespread issue. Do any of you experience this?

Probably not a safety concern or would even cause this, but it does prove that their cables are low quality, plus it looks dangerous (at least to the kids and wife).

chuckchurch

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
Am I the only one who's fed up with Tom's Hardware coverage of cellphones? I don't care about Androids, Ipods/pads/phones, etc. Any jackass who buys a phone that is only available on AT&T should expect crappy performance. Duh!

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]ronch79[/nom]The way Apple prices its products you'd think they'd put a tad more emphasis on quality compared to cheap, Chinese iPod knockoffs.[/citation]

The irony is that iPods and iPhones are mostly made in China.

[citation][nom]ChuckChurch[/nom]Am I the only one who's fed up with Tom's Hardware coverage of cellphones? I don't care about Androids, Ipods/pads/phones, etc. Any jackass who buys a phone that is only available on AT&T should expect crappy performance. Duh![/citation]

Its all about tech. And soon Intel will have CPUs in the cell market and AMD will surley follow.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]thekurrgan[/nom]and I highly doubt the 2amps provided would cause this. [/citation]
USB does not provide 2 amps. (although Firewire does). USB provides 1/2 of an amp. 500ma.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Off topic, but I can see a lot of -ve voting given to comments poking fun at Jobs and Apple on this page. Looks like some apple fan is at his work and he is really irritated!

j3ff86

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Of course Apple says it was caused by the user's usb port. God forbid they take some responsibility for their products.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
I know first hand a USB port has enough power to cause this. A shorted USB port on a PC front panel we had in for service had completely melted the plastic face plate and it cought on fire. It takes a while, but once it gets hot enough it will combust. However, a short on the PC's end would not cause this damage, the short would have to be on the iphones end. If there was a short on the PC's end there wouldn't even be power getting to the iphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS