iPhone 4 Cable Catches Fire, Burns Owner's Hand

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

well, it didn't stop them when it burns through their wallet, sure as hell it wouldn't stop them if it's just a burnt hand...

G

Although USB is theoretically 500mA per port, the battery charging standard increases this, and many motherboards and hubs go for the "ganged" over-current approach, so any one port can actually pull (# of ports)*500mA to run those HDDs, Christmas trees, cup warmers and vacuum cleaners.

gncs91

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
well, thats what happens when you hold the iphone wrong!
actio, reactio... as easys as that. guys, you cant blame god jobs for this... he told you in advance. ;)

aj6065

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Around 5 or so years ago, I melted the top of my Zen Micro MP3 player because of a faulty USB port on a PC I built. The player got extremely hot and then the top corner where the USB connector is melted and collapsed on itself. The USB header on the motherboard was connected wrong and sending out way too much current I guess. Nothing caught on fire, but the damage still looked kinda cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.