iPhone 4 Hacked for Jailbroken Carrier Unlock

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Why does apple persist in locking or inhibiting their products?
I realize that has been their business model.. but why not make something open source.. see how well it does.. call it the i-open.. or whatever.. obviously their could be serious security issues.. but they could sell it with a disclaimer. Let the customer make or break.. the phone. "Caveat emptor,"

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]cptnjarhead[/nom]Why does apple persist in locking or inhibiting their products?I realize that has been their business model.. but why not make something open source.. see how well it does.. call it the i-open.. or whatever.. obviously their could be serious security issues.. but they could sell it with a disclaimer. Let the customer make or break.. the phone. "Caveat emptor,"[/citation]
In this case, it's likely that it's the carriers that wanted it locked.
Though I would personally prefer a more open policy. I decided to buy a Cowon S9 instead of a iPod Touch 32GB, so I could use FLACs instead of Apple's own standard ALAC, and the general openness of the platform instead (though it turns out no one was interested in making apps for the s9, guess it just wasn't popular enough).

paigeinfull

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]"Let freedom ring. And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring—when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children—black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics—will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual: "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"[/citation]

Am I the only one that thinks comments like these are
a little too over the top? You're abusing a great man's speech in the civil rights movement to compare to AT&T (not apple) restricting a phone to their network. I realize it was done in humor but it's kind of offensive

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]paigeinfull[/nom]Am I the only one that thinks comments like these are a little too over the top? You're abusing a great man's speech in the civil rights movement to compare to AT&T (not apple) restricting a phone to their network. I realize it was done in humor but it's kind of offensive[/citation]
To some people, such as myself, it's not humour. It's serious.
How many people have died in the name of freedom, only to have it taken away again.
Some people believe it's over the top to fight a government that imprisons their own people just for speaking out.
Any loss of freedom is significant, no matter how small or trivial.
Plain and simple, we own the product, and they should have absolutely no control on who we use it with.

I live in a multicultural area, and if you ask anyone here why they left their mother countries, almost everyone will give you one word, 'freedom'.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]To some people, such as myself, it's not humour. It's serious.How many people have died in the name of freedom, only to have it taken away again.Some people believe it's over the top to fight a government that imprisons their own people just for speaking out.Any loss of freedom is significant, no matter how small or trivial.Plain and simple, we own the product, and they should have absolutely no control on who we use it with.I live in a multicultural area, and if you ask anyone here why they left their mother countries, almost everyone will give you one word, 'freedom'.[/citation]
You must hate the laws of physics a lot.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Haha for unlocking the iphone. That would have been funny if they did it in the Apple store as well, right after they jailbroke the floor model. And people, lighten up, argue on a different forum designed for people to rage about what is offensive and what isn't. Nobody here at Tom's comes to this site to learn about your feelings. Thanks.

paigeinfull

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
[citation][nom]jomofro39[/nom]Haha for unlocking the iphone. That would have been funny if they did it in the Apple store as well, right after they jailbroke the floor model. And people, lighten up, argue on a different forum designed for people to rage about what is offensive and what isn't. Nobody here at Tom's comes to this site to learn about your feelings. Thanks.[/citation]

Sorry I didn't mean to start anything. I was more trying to consider what other people find offensive

michaelssw

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
my iphone4 makes all the boys come to the yard
and their like
Your holding it wrongs
Damn right, I'm holding it wrongs
Jobs can teach ya
But he'd have to charge

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
My friend bought an unlocked iPhone4 from Apple Canada to ship back to Taiwan for his dad. He's glad he doesn't have to buy it from a carrier.

blarg_12

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I think the world would come to an end if Apple actually released something open-source.

The only thing that makes them better than M$ is their treatment of Flash - HTML5 vs Silverlight.

gpfear

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]michaelssw[/nom]my iphone4 makes all the boys come to the yardand their likeYour holding it wrongsDamn right, I'm holding it wrongsJobs can teach yaBut he'd have to charge[/citation]

Full of Win!

Shake ya antenna
Show me what ya workin with
Watch yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.