iPhone 4S Preorders Exceed One Million in 24 Hours

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Apple haters thumb down everyone who doesn't agree with them - regardless of the validity of their points.[/citation]
And Apple fans thumb down the Apple haters, regardless of the validity of their points
You can't have it both ways, if it were up to me I would remove the thumbs system completely because all it does is promote cliquey thumbs-down Nazis.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
People don't realize how many iphone 3/3gs users are out there waiting to upgrade. It is better than the 4, but it's massively better than the older phones.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]So not the best in any of the categories listed, that's about right yes?But right up there amongst the best, not THE best, but amongst the top.Gotcha, just checking....By the way, you assume I am an Android fan, wrong there too - the fact that you think I am an Android fan and point as the SGS2 leads me to believe that you are the insecure geek.[/citation]

Which part of the BEST CPU/GPU COMBINATION IN ANY PHONE escapes you, exactly?

Arguably they are the BEST smart phone in terms of battery life, and in DPI, and in terms of having the most apps too.

They are also by FAR the BEST in customer satisfaction too.

Camera wise, the camera may well turn out to be the best once the phone is reviewed.

The iCloud is the BEST (as it's the only) integrated synchronisation tool in a phone today.

That's an awful lot of 'bests' for something you claim doesn't lead everything. It's a pretty naive and pathetic person who thinks a device has to be the best at every single thing to be regarded as the best overall, anyway.

As for you being an Android fan, I did assume you were too (because it's the only serious competitor to iOS and Apple), and I pointed you towards the Samsung because it's arguably the best alternative full stop to the iPhone (and it is in itself only an iterative improvement), but if not, that's another thing we've agreed you agree with me on.

The crucial difference is, I don't dislike Android, or people who buy Androids. You DO dislike Apple, and THAT is the insecure part.

I'd quite happily buy an Android phone, and don't mind people who buy Android phones for logical and practical reasons. You WOULDN'T happily buy an Apple phone, and you DO criticise everyone who buys the iPhone. I'm not even an Apple fan, in particular, I just think that people who slate a product such as the iPhone completely without foundation are tragic.

kastraelie

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]Garbage phone. Dual core? not needed. Siri? NO ONE is gonna use that crap. Better Camera? I guess thats the best and only thing to come out of this shitteh. Manufacturers should start focusing on developing batteries that could last more than 10 hours with heavy use instead of this useless crap that is irrelevant to most people or not used at all[/citation]

You're right, no one is going to buy that....oh wait...1M in 24 hours. I'm thinking there are alot of stockholders out there who didn't listen to you who are quite happy.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]irh_1974[/nom]4S CPU rated 800mhzLG Optimus rated at 1ghzSGS2 rated at 1.2ghzhttp://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2011 [...] ted-truth/Truth hurts[/citation]

1 - the CPU mhz isn't relevant when comparing different architectures, and particularly given that we are comparing CPU / GPU combination. It is unbelievably dumb, un-tech-savvy and naive to think that you can compare CPU's just by looking at mhz. Most stupid comment ever.
2 - the CPU in the iPhone 4S is not confirmed to be running at 800 mhz
3 - the GPU in the iPhone 4S is so far ahead of the Mali 400 found in the Samsung Galaxy it is unreal.
4 - Please refer to this: http://tech.shantanugoel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/anandtech-gpu-comparison-sgx543mp2-mali400.png

Even a significant underclock of the GPU / CPU combo would still leave it significantly, significantly faster than the Samsung.

'Truth hurts'

skyhide

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I can`t be the only one that notice this, every single phone that came out after Apple iPhone 4 got compared to the Apple iPhone 4 why? I don`t know man? I see it more like buying a shoe from different companies just an example, If you did stick to a certain product for like forever then you won`t see the beauty/use of other products on today market. Each device has its pro`s and cons if all depends on what do you like? To be honest here, I have never owned any apple product but I did encounter them like friends for example, I think apple is great and I do see it innovate because according to me is that Apple products are not entirely use friendly but don`t get me wrong all Im saying is that you need to know how to use such devices have the knowledge....a person that is not familiar with modern devices would never know how to operate certain products am I right? Now this a long comment...We should not hate but instead we should experience it first then comment on anything,

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Apple haters thumb down everyone who doesn't agree with them - regardless of the validity of their points.[/citation]

Amazing.... I have yet to see anti-apple comments get many thumbs down. Infact its the other way around and loaded up with thumbs up. Pro apple or balanced comments get large numbers of thumbs down. Do you really read? Or share what are you drinkin?....

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

I take back my above comment to you, apologize. Not enough coffee yet and misread !!

SOOORRRYYYYY

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
The iPhone is for the uneducated, simple minded people which is 90% of the population. I have talked to people that own the iPhone and they have never tried or owned an android phone. Other people that have used the android, that now own an iPhone stated that the android was too complicated to use. These people need to be educated and try a descent phone for a week like the HTC Sensation and see if they want the itty bitty iPhone back.
You cant even compare the iPhone to Android phone. The HTC Sensation looks better than the iPhone 4. All this bragging about an Retina display is useless hype. All I can think of is I cant wait for the bigger screen phones to come out. My HTC Sensation is starting to feel too small of a screen and phone.

eeide

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]The iPhone is for the uneducated, simple minded people which is 90% of the population. I have talked to people that own the iPhone and they have never tried or owned an android phone. Other people that have used the android, that now own an iPhone stated that the android was too complicated to use. These people need to be educated and try a descent phone for a week like the HTC Sensation and see if they want the itty bitty iPhone back.You cant even compare the iPhone to Android phone. The HTC Sensation looks better than the iPhone 4. All this bragging about an Retina display is useless hype. All I can think of is I cant wait for the bigger screen phones to come out. My HTC Sensation is starting to feel too small of a screen and phone.[/citation]
Have you ever used an iPhone? I buy an Android phone every time a new revision comes out hoping it's better and I'm still always disappointed. iOS is MUCH more stable then Android 2.3. Ever see ANY Android phone last more then 10 hours with general use without getting a HUGE battery? Ever used and Android phone that can go more than 10 days and not need rebooted from some weird issue? I'm using an LG Thrill right now and have owned just about every Android / iPhone out there and can safely say iPhone is not for the ignorant, but for people who just plain want there phone to work. Are there things you are loosing for that? YES Absolutely, but it all depends on how much hassle you want. I always go back to my iPhone because it irritates me when I want to just connect my bluetooth headphones just to find out the radio won't turn on and I need to reboot. Android has far more customization than iOS could even dream about. You seem fine with Android's shortcomings and that's great! Only for the simple minded and uneducated? Nope I'm not simple minded or uneducated in fact I guarantee my IQ and yearly earnings are FAR HIGHER than yours!

Give some hard facts about what in iOS you dislike so much and maybe we could have a debate. Sadly I doubt you can because my guess is you have never used an iPhone 4 as a primary phone for more than 1 month. I have sure used both phones extensively and can say while Android is great, Apple has the best all around package for most people when it comes to stability / ease of use / apps / customer support.

G

I own an Android and if it wasn't for the suck GPS in iPhone I would be switching for this new iPhone. I have run every ROM for my phone. Tested all the kernels. I am in IRC with all the great developers for my phone, waiting on the next release.

But still my phone locks up, force closes, lags. Not constantly, mind you, but when I need the phone the most- it is having some weird issue that forces me to pull the battery.

Before I owned an Android, I had an iPhone.. I had to reboot it once in a blue moon. And the battery life was amazing.

I wish I could switch but I rely on the remarkable GPS and Navigation on the Android for my courier job.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]The crucial difference is, I don't dislike Android, or people who buy Androids. You DO dislike Apple, and THAT is the insecure part.I'd quite happily buy an Android phone, and don't mind people who buy Android phones for logical and practical reasons. You WOULDN'T happily buy an Apple phone, and you DO criticise everyone who buys the iPhone. I'm not even an Apple fan, in particular, I just think that people who slate a product such as the iPhone completely without foundation are tragic.[/citation]

Completely owned.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
To all the Apple haters out there. I have an HTC evo. I have decided to upgrade my phone but unfortunately there are no Android phones now that I feel are really state of the art. I wanted to get the prime but I hear that is several months away for the sprint network. Anyhow, I decided to make the jump and get the Iphone. I have an Ipad2 and I know what the graphics engine is capable of. My nephew is a graphics engine developer and when he saw the graphics on the ipad he was blown away.

As for the "not much of an upgrade crowd". The only reason why people where disapointed is they didn't call it an Iphone5. At least 2x improvement on CPU benchmarks and 7x improvements on the GPU benchmarks. To me that is much more than typical improvements. It is also the first time I have heard of a major upgrade in camera optics. The pictures they showed at the press release where simply amazing. I honestly think people expect too much sometimes are are too quick to judge before the product is even released.

Benchmark Comparison to Best Android phone so far - Samsung Galaxy II

Javascript (lower is better)
Iphone - 2222
Galaxy II - 4038

Browsermark (Higher is better)
Iphone - 89567
Galaxy II - 55144

GL Benchmark - Egypt (Higher is better)
Iphone - 73.1
Galaxy II - 42.5

GL Benchmark - Pro (Higher is better)
Iphone - 122
Galaxy II - 67

That is almost a 2x improvement over the current champion, so don't tell me that it doesn't have the fastest phone CPU/GPU to date because it does.... PERIOD. Now the Nexus prime is supposed to pack a pretty powerful CPU/GPU combination. It will be interesting to see a head to head between the 2.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]When does the Nexus Prime line starts. I want to go camp out for that.[/citation]

No need; there will be more than enough to go around after it launches, because it is a niche phone that only enthusiasts will want.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]eeide[/nom]Ever see ANY Android phone last more then 10 hours with general use without getting a HUGE battery? Ever used and Android phone that can go more than 10 days and not need rebooted from some weird issue?.[/citation]

My nexus one would only need charged once every two to three days, and would have up times of 60+ days before I installed an OS update that required a reboot. Although I agree completely that battery sucks on my SGS2, hopefully Cyanogen will make a difference on that today. If not then the Nexus prime is looking better and better, because if my battery is going to suck this bad I want more power.

As for all the Apple and Android bashing, grow up. Both platforms have their strength's. Personally I like the freedom of choice offered by the Android platform and I despise iTunes so an iPhone isn't for me, but I know many people who love iTunes, and aren't tech savvy enough to get good use from an Android.

Although apple selling 1 million iphones in a day is nothing special when you look at the big picture, since android activates almost 1 million phones a day.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]And Apple fans thumb down the Apple haters, regardless of the validity of their points...You can't have it both ways, if it were up to me I would remove the thumbs system completely because all it does is promote cliquey thumbs-down Nazis.[/citation]

Unfortunately Apple haters usually don't have valid points - and as someone pointed out, at least on Tom's they don't get thumbs down but rather thumbs up for the statements.

Personally I don't use an iPhone nor do I use an Android; I have had experience with both however and I feel that the iPhone provides a much better user experience and at the end of the day, this is what it boils down to. Of course to every hater here that will simply translate to 'isheep'...

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]., but I know many people who love iTunes, and aren't tech savvy enough to get good use from an Android..[/citation]

WTF kind of a back handed insult is that? Don't know if you want to go toe-to-toe on the tech savvy nonsense, but I'm pretty sure since I'm designing engine controllers with dual core PPCs, built every PC in my household since the early 90's (including my Q9550 based Hackintosh) and am well versed in embedded software (I still write drivers and OS'es for my hardware) I'm gonna say my tech savviness probably exceeds yours.

However, and perhaps because I do know what goes into hardware and software, I can appreciate the performance and simplicity of iTunes/iPhone much better than others and I don't feel the need to spend countless hours looking for ways to tweak my phone so that it can work better.

Heck, compared to the effort required to upgrade my HTC Hero, my BB Bold is a dream..

buffdaddysmurf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Do you people realize these are just freaking phones!! They are not your children for god sakes!!

There is no better phone! Pick whatever the hell makes you happy and shut the hell up already!
Should we argue which car is better if one has more HP and one has a better suspension or just pick the dam car that gets fits our needs and gets the job done?

Unfortunately I’m stuck with BB due to company policy but I have noticed one thing reading these boards. There is a certain fan boy group all over this forum that always talks about they like openness and choice on their phone but when others "choose" a different phone those fan boys start calling them names and insults. Go figure

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I am tired of seeing benchmarks. Numbers mean nothing in the real user experience.

The only people I think should upgrade to this phone are those sporting 3GS era phones or older, and only if your contact is up. I do feel sorry for those with the 3GS apple has shoved to many iOS updated down your throats that the phone is bloody unusable.

I have the original Galaxy S phone. I have done a great deal of playing with the GS2, while I fully understand the hardware is better... it doesn't FEEL better. Benchmarks be damned.

Status
Not open for further replies.