iPhone 5 Screen May Grow to 4-inches

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey Eklipz - a new iPhone comes out EVERY year and will continue to do so until they're able to plant a chip in everyone's brain.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
O M G . An iPhone screen half an inch larger (on the diagonal). This would be like holding it 1.5 inches closer to my eyes. This will be a major adjustment to my lifestyle. Wow.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Maybe apple should release another version of the iphone & make it smaller for those that prefer smaller & make this screen version a larger size...But I suppose that the market forces are not big enough or make enough money for them or they would be releasing several more designs at once...

ubergeek

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
You mean that's it? Geesh. I prefer 24" at a minimum. What apple really needs to do is come out with iGlasses displays so all the iDiots walking around staring at their screens are at least looking forward.

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
To "Soldier37":
No offense mate - but you won't be getting most of those...
4.3 - 4.5 inch screen - won't work as Steve will probably stick to 4.0" - it's more or equal than every one else, he is against 7inch tablets (so no chance to get bigger phone) and I reckon you will get 4.0" screen + some bezel - making it overall 4.5" or something like this but in "apple-marketing-language".
no bezel - technically impossible - you need a bezel even if it is 1mm... it's still a bezel.
64gb option - yes but not necessarily on iphone 5 - as 32GB is still decent amount - nobody does more as standard in a phone and its now probably dirt-cheap to sell that as a "well-deserved premium"...
dual core - unlikely - too soon in my opinion, plus they would need to have spent some time rewriting the OS to support that,
1080p video - you can forget about it, even if the screen goes to 4inch and the resolution stays the same (and it won't go up as it's the highest PPI screen available at the moment) you won't get even close to 1080p - To do that it would mean they would have to squeeze 1920x1080 pixels in 4inches - quite impossible... over 2M pixels in an 4:3 aspect screen with only 4" diagonal? Cannot be bothered to do the math here... But they would have to increase the PPI to well over 1000ppi to achieve something more or less Full HD capable... And trust me even if it would be technically possible - it wouldn't make any sense at all with screen size smaller than 7inches...
And you can forget about having mini HDMI port on the phone as well - apple doesn't believe in ports - wireless hdmi - possible... but unlikely as Apple is trying to push out another "hit" - apple TV which allows streaming already...
Sony optics - forget it... Sony is for Sony - Apple trusts in their Chinese / Taiwanese counterparts. And why improving something that fans are used to being shit in the first place?
Lighter and thinner - possibly yes, but I guess the main reason why they want 5 out is the antenna and Android competition... What I really believe Apple will try to push through this time is better gaming capabilities - so hardware wise - you will get the usual - bit lighter, bit thinner, bit more Megapixels on the camera, fraction of an inch more, new antenna, and better software - still completely closed and controlled by the devil himself... Oh and yes - you will have to pay more for the same... No news here... same old apple policy - release new crap, charge more for old features, introduce a new catch-phrase to market it, count cash flowing in...

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Actually - if the PPI of the screen goes up - then apple marketing department will say something against themselves - they already stated that iphone4 has "retina-like" resolution - surely increasing that would mean that the device would have pixels NOT visible to a human eye... I'd love to see that happening :) iphone4 marketing against iphone5 marketing :)

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]tinnerdxp[/nom]1080p video - you can forget about it, even if the screen goes to 4inch and the resolution stays the same (and it won't go up as it's the highest PPI screen available at the moment) you won't get even close to 1080p - To do that it would mean they would have to squeeze 1920x1080 pixels in 4inches - quite impossible... over 2M pixels in an 4:3 aspect screen with only 4" diagonal? Cannot be bothered to do the math here... But they would have to increase the PPI to well over 1000ppi to achieve something more or less Full HD capable[/citation]
I consulted a mathematics professor who I know and he was able to shed some light on the pixel resolution of a 4", 1000ppi (pixels per inch) display. Through some complex new mathematical formulas he found (he mentioned something about a Dr. Pythagoras, I think) he was able to estimate the adjacent side of a 4:3 ratio triangle with a 4" hypotenuse as about 3". Then he was somehow able to estimate the number of number of horizontal pixels, at a rate of 1000ppi, over this 3 inches as 3000. Then he informed me that 3000 was greater than approximately 2000, which he arrived at through some rounding method of the number 1920. Interesting?

ac21365

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Ah, Apple. Clawing desperately at the tapestries of the tech world in a vain effort to stay relevant.

Good luck with that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.