iPhone 5s Camera Loses to Point-and-Shoot in Low Light

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Not that revealing really. A camera phone (all camera phones) except maybe specialized phone cameras like the 1020 will always be just good enough. The hierarchy of camera quality is still phone camera - point and shoot - APSC dSLR - Full frame dSLR. It all comes to sensor size and quality of optics. It doesn't matter what Apple tries to lie er spin it is still just a camera phone and 15% is not that big of a deal in that arena.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Either the Z1 or the 1020 would have actually had a shot at winning this comparison, but the iPhone 5S never had a chance.

I'm not sure if the iPhone was picked because it has an average camera for a smartphone, or if it's because the author mistakenly thinks its one of the best smartphone cameras. If its the latter, I must urge yet again....

Please hire someone who knows something about digital cameras!

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
the iPhone's pictures a more clear....canon's colors are bleneded into eachother more....i would take the iPhone's picture quality any day

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
There is no camera phone as of yet that can beat out a stand alone higher end digital point and shoot. My 3 year old Sony Cybershot 16mp TX100v still outshines my 13mp Optimus G Pro camera at its best settings. Will be a couple more years before camera phones overtake most point and shoots.

Be0wulf22

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Agree with most other commenters that this was a silly comparison to make. Particularly given the author's statement "doesn't measure up to even a MIDRANGE point-and-shoot". Comparing to a low end point and shoot might have made a little more sense. And "even" a midrange? Like we thought a camera phone had a snowball's chance of competing with a high end point and shoot? lol.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
That point and shoot camera by default focuses on a tiny point on the center of the frame by default when setting the white balance, thus it will have poor results depending on what you aim at. you can either change it, or do the right thing and install CHDK on the camera and shoot in camera raw. not only do you get significantly better image quality (the camera does a low quality fast jpeg processing to keep a decent frame rate, but that comes at the cost of fine details, noise, and dynamic range.

Status
Not open for further replies.