iPhone 6 Camera Could Take ‘Super-Resolution’ Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
And on a rumored little 4.7 inch screen it still won't matter except to the Apple fanboys who will think its the best camera in the world... :I

vinhn

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
And on a rumored little 4.7 inch screen it still won't matter except to the Apple fanboys who will think its the best camera in the world... :I

Yes, it doesn't matter on a 4.7" screen but it does matter when you want to print it out.

dro2

Estimable
May 1, 2014

Yes, it doesn't matter on a 4.7" screen but it does matter when you want to print it out.

Don't try an make sense to him... he doesn't comprehend logical thinking.

hitman40

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
So, still not as good as the camera on a Lumia 1020 or 1520, still playing catchup...
"Nokia and HTC already offer OIS in their Lumia and One smartphones, but Apple's new patent appears to use the technology to create sharper pictures than just steadying them. "
Interesting, if you read the article, you would have caught this sentence.

It's okay, keep hating on Apple/Apple Articles based on the titles.

5tormy

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Actually the iPhone 5s puts many many many dedicated/mobile cameras to shame. May not be the best but for such a tiny little thing it does its job very well.
Look up 5s camera vs...(insert phone name here) and compare.

Justin Houser

Estimable
May 9, 2014
OIS is a key factor in multi-sensor image knitting sans distortion. Most large format cam tech companies use this approach in their pro cameras so it isn't surprising that phone makers are doing to too. Squeezing into a smartphone without optical artifacts of significance will be a huge trick however. Virtually all on the market have undesirable distortions.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Hasselblad has been doing the same thing for 10 years but to make 80-200MP photos. Anyway, I'm a camera buff and my Lumia puts most cameras I've had to shame. I love its RAW shots but there are some things my interchangeable lens camera does much better. Resolution isn't one of them, though.

Stacy Young

Estimable
May 9, 2014
Come on Apple haters! Your stand alone camera are doing stuff like this, but this is a tiny, thin little microcomputer based smart phone. Stop hating just for the sake of it.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
@Stacy Young

if i want to take a picture i will take it with a real camera,
if i want to call someone, i use a real phone
if i want to use the internent i use a real computer

i see no purpose in smartphones outside of convenience, but even than, 90% of the time they arent a phone and the one time i could have used a phone the battery was dead.

give me a dedicated phone i only use to make a call and recieve,
give me a dedicated camera which i only take pictures and video
and give me a dedicated computer which i use.

unless they sold these things closer to cost (about 250$) i cant see any reason to get one
and no, getting a 3000$ cellphone plan but paying 0-200 for the phone is not getting it cheaper.

EddieLomax

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
"Nokia and HTC already offer OIS in their Lumia and One smartphones, but Apple's new patent appears to use the technology to create sharper pictures than just steadying them. "
Interesting, if you read the article, you would have caught this sentence.

Well I think both Nokia and HTC are already using their technology to create sharper pictures (the Lumia 1020 takes a 41MP high resolution all at one time and then samples this to give a better quality 8MP image), the problem with Apples new approach is that they seem to be trying to use the OIS to position the camera sensor multiple times to stitch together a image which is going to inherently have problems with motion and in times of low light where Nokia and HTC are effectively taking multiple shots (keeping the shutter open longer) with their OIS.

There are fundemental problems with capturing light here that this approach does not seem to improve for low light or capturing most scenes with motion. There are fantastic improvements that can be done with digital processing to see things in the image that the sensor was struggling to capture, but this does not appear to be one of them, instead it just appears to be something to automatically stitch together lots of stationary pictures with a 8MP sensor and oversample, we already have a better version of that in the Lumia 1020.

Status
Not open for further replies.