iPhone 8 vs. Pixel 2: Why Apple Beats Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

citykangaroo

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that the iPhone has the better processor.

But the iPhone doesn't have the best camera. The Pixel 2 camera has better dynamic range, it doesn't blow out in bright spots like the iPhone does (any rudimentary highlight test will show this), it has the best image stabilisation, faster Dual-Pixel autofocus, and the ability to do portrait mode while external lenses are attached - such as those from Moment Inc.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for your comment. There's a lot of disagreement around the Pixel 2 vs iPhone 8 camera. I agree that the Pixel 2 camera excels in some ways and I recommend it without hesitation. The sheer detail and more even exposure are great. But the iPhone 8 produces brighter and more vibrant colors, and it's Portrait mode not only looks more natural, you can preview the effect before you shoot. Some shots do look overexposed in spots, though, as you mention.

jacksmith21006

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016
Really comes down to what is important to you. If you want the best camera you can get on a smartphone then you buy a Pixel. If you want iOS you do not. If you want Android and fluid experience is important to you then you buy a Pixel

Personally I had iPhones since the 3G so the fluid nature of the Pixel was top on my list and wanted Android. So purchased a Pixel 2 XL.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
If you don't mind me asking, how are you liking it so far? Any complaints about screen quality in terms of colors or audio crackling issues when making calls as some have reported?

pixel56

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
If you like bezels, the iphone 8 is great, the pixel 2 XL is a better looking phone than either iphone 8 or 8 plus
geekbench scores are kinda like car tests for the 1/4 mile, no one floors their car for a 1/4 mile in daily use... here is a video review of speed and the pixel performs very close and beats the 8 in some tests:
https://9to5google.com/2017/10/24/googles-pixel-2-xl-mostly-keeps-up-with-iphone-8-plus-in-speed-test-video/
seems like the Pixel camera outperforms the iphone 8 in this review:
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-iphone-8-plus-vs-google-pixel-2-xl-camera-comparison-2017-10/#in-this-shot-both-the-pixel-and-iphone-took-great-photos-1

google assistant beats SIRI like a rented mule, pixe lis a "smarter" smart phone period, with lens etc. wait till google unlocks the the visual core in android 8.1

pixel56

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
tom's guide is a good source for info but generally favor apple from what i have read here over the years....look at the links above from other sources for a different view....

k negi

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
I do not agree with your camera comparison. You didn't mention low light photography. iPhone 8 camera is nowhere good when it comes to low light photography

pixel56

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
Just this am my wife took a pic with iphone 8 plus, it was still dark but she wanted ot take a pic of my daughter in her school outfit, picture was dark and very warm... I went out with the pixel XL 1st generation and it was seriously night and day, i almost wonder if her flash didnt go off it was so bad

pixel56

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017

you are right in my 1st hand experience with iphone 8 plus and my Pixel XL 1

pixel56

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017

mature experience? thats a new one
IOS is immature with apple treating like you like a sheep telling you how everything has to be
Android is for the mature folks who can adjust settings and like to customize

for instance your swipe up from bottom shorcuts on ios, can you customize what is available there?
how about your home screen, can you customize that yet or do you still have that same dinky clock up high that no one abov e40 can read because its fine print?

ruebinoheat

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
Ppl are talking about wireless charging like it just came out, and glass back phones are a pain plus they are not needed to have wireless charging... Nokia proved that over 5 years ago when they were doing wireless charging...

marshalbrown1

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
I have to disagree with this one. I believe the pixel had the slight edge. 9/10 reviewers say the pixel 2 had the superior camera. I owned both and have compared them in numerous situations and the pixel comes out on top 8/10 times. I even compared it to the iPhone X and still thought"overall" the pixel was better. I was been away by how much better the front facing portrait is on the pixel. The iPhone X does have a better, more consistent rear camera portrait. The iPhone tends to bring a brighter picture but tends to blow out highlights, while the pixel retains more detail. Just my 2 cents. They are both incredible cameras and nobody would be disappointed with either of them... Or the note 8, .... Or the lgv30 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.