iPhone Apps Have Unique Data Leaked/Shared Too

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
Unique information != private information. You expect many apps to uniquely identify you. More over the examples of sending private information is completely expected. It is different from what was described in android article that some information that you consider private is downloaded by apps.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]but apples are impervious to malware and security breeches.. steve jobs said so ... so it must be true[/citation]
But but... it must be true if he said it...

... Oh wait, let me turn on my brain real quick.

G

It does not really matter what you are using. As long as you use the internet, there will be a way of tracking you.

scubadave

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]For you iPhone fanboys, 68% is greater than two-thirds; which means iPhone are MORE insecure than Android phones. So... you guys can get off your high horse now.[/citation]

Personally I like this quote the most. 68% for the UDID. And to that I quote:
"The UDID of the iOS device itself isn't sensitive, but sometimes that UDID would be paired up with your real user information that the app has been granted access to."

So, sorry, your post is beyond incorrect. Unless of course, "sometimes' means 97-99% of ALL times the UDID is transmitted. At 96% it hits 65.28% which technically is under two-thirds by enough that you can't "reasonably' round up to 2/3rds. Neat huh?!

But seriously people.. The article on android and apple are not a sign of a problem with either platform. Both have their merits. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. It's a sign that the app developers need to improve upon how they get their apps to interface with the phones to insure a safe smartphone experience.

Now, one could argue that the UDID and phone name is information no app would need, but honestly.. the less information and data available to a developer the less options they have to work with.

So lets stop bashing the platforms and get our developers to create safer apps. More platforms = More competition = Better for us!

Thats just my two cents.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]MxM[/nom]Unique information != private information. You expect many apps to uniquely identify you. More over the examples of sending private information is completely expected. It is different from what was described in android article that some information that you consider private is downloaded by apps.[/citation]

When some of those include your real name, that is almost as good. its not like identity thieves and underhanded advertisers have only ONE database to pull from. Search, link, build tables of who and what kind to throw adverts at.

I tend to agree with back_by_demand, this is a problem with smart phones in general. Much of application development and coding is written feature first, privacy later if at all. The law of unintended consequences means that while we have access to a great many apps, there are big problems with security and privacy, especially if it is a revenue stream for companies.

The moral of the story: There's no such thing as a Free (Lunch)App.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]scubadave[/nom]Personally I like this quote the most. 68% for the UDID. And to that I quote:"The UDID of the iOS device itself isn't sensitive, but sometimes that UDID would be paired up with your real user information that the app has been granted access to."So, sorry, your post is beyond incorrect. Unless of course, "sometimes' means 97-99% of ALL times the UDID is transmitted. At 96% it hits 65.28% which technically is under two-thirds by enough that you can't "reasonably' round up to 2/3rds. Neat huh?!But seriously people.. The article on android and apple are not a sign of a problem with either platform. Both have their merits. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. It's a sign that the app developers need to improve upon how they get their apps to interface with the phones to insure a safe smartphone experience.Now, one could argue that the UDID and phone name is information no app would need, but honestly.. the less information and data available to a developer the less options they have to work with.So lets stop bashing the platforms and get our developers to create safer apps. More platforms = More competition = Better for us!Thats just my two cents.[/citation]
There is also this study that finds there are more iPhone apps that access user location and information than android.
http://www.safeinternet.org/blog/mobile-privacy-concerns-your-phones-app-spying-you
Of course the fault belongs to the app developers, not the os developers.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Android sharing data, Apple sharing data, they're probably all as bad as each other. I'd say no'one has room to criticise anyone else.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Wow, so they can get your UDID and phone's name. WOW, the horror!!!! On the other hand on Android they can get all my passwords, email accounts, contacts, private data, everything. Pfffff, so much for a security firm report with a name like Eric Smith (Eric Schmidt actually?)[/citation]
They cannot get your passwords. Also there are lots of programs on the iPhone that also access user information and location (gps) and phone information not limited to just the UDID. To make matters even worse when I install an app on the iPhone I don't get any kind of warning what data the program will access, unlike Android.

http://www.safeinternet.org/blog/mobile-privacy-concerns-your-phones-app-spying-you

Status
Not open for further replies.