iPhone DRM App Claims It Can Stop All Pirates

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

There has never been a single DRM scheme that has not been broken. I sincerely doubt this will be the first one.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Well, if it does stop 100.000000000000000000% of pirates, it will definately stop 100% of the ligitimate users from actually having any digital rights. That is the problem with Digital Rights MANAGEMENT. The fact that someone other than the end user is MANAGING it means that the RIGHTS are taken away from the user. DRM should be DRCMTPYFHAARTYDM Digital Rights Control Mechanism To Prevent You From Having Any Actual Rights To Your Digital Media. Or more simply Digital Rights Removal might work. In other words, all the media people really are saying is that you are not buying any right to the media you buy, you are simply getting the privilage to listen, watch, whatever as long as they deem you to be allowed. Makes you a renter, not a buyer.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I agree with the posts above. It will be a matter of days until somebody figures out a way to get around this. It's a waste of time and an insult to legitimate customers.

_horse

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]ryokinshin[/nom]I'm glad everyone here wants to just torrent and not pay for anything.[/citation]
Now just because we said something like that IN NO WAY means that we do. We're commenting on sercuirty holes here, not the concept of downloading.

DOWN BOY!

_horse

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]ryokinshin[/nom]RIght, you people don't steal? Everyone that really complains about drm just wants their torrents faster.[/citation]

Yeah, ok buddy. Dont let that tin foil hat of yours get TOO tight there.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Ah, a wonderful combination of hubris and greed, so Ripdev can fleece developers of their hard-earned money even faster than pirates can. Basically, what they describe is effectively what ALL DRM has done. What they fail to realize/mention is that what DRM cracking does is tunnel through said DRM protection while fooling the DRM into thinking that it's still functioning. I would not be surprised to see it broken inside of 16 hours of its release.

And yes, there are actually methods of preventing all piracy... It's called making the program worthless in the first place, to the point that no one who's not a pirate can use it either. Then there's the alternative of making your programs attractive enough to get enough buyers to make all the pirates inconsequential. What so many are loathe to admit, "pirates" come in two types: those of convenience, who largely do not exist for inexpensive, downloadable stuff, (we're talking the pre-legit Napster-era music sharers) and those that will, in all likelihood, never buy their program legit no matter what; they either won't ever spend money because they simply don't HAVE the money, or they hold it as a point of pride; either way, nothing's going to stop them. The only way around is to outwiegh their piracy with legit purchasers.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
[citation][nom]ryokinshin[/nom]RIght, you people don't steal? Everyone that really complains about drm just wants their torrents faster.[/citation]
People who complain about DRM know that DRM is actually DRCMTPYFHAARTYDM Digital Rights Control Mechanism To Prevent You From Having Any Actual Rights To Your Digital Media. I could care less about DRM as far as me getting what I want from something I purchase, because there are lots of hackers out there that will defeat the DRM and allow me to have my Digital Rights that i paid for. I make alot of money and I spend alot of money. When i spend my money I want what I PAY FOR. If I pay for a song, the artist has been recompensed for their efforts and I OWN that song for MY PERSONAL use and my personal use may include an MP3 player, a CD player in my car, my computer at work, my computer at home, my laptop on trips. When DRM says that I can only play the music from the specific CD I purchased, my owner digital rights have been stolen. I personally stopped buying music maybe a decade ago, but I do not have any music on any of my devices that I do not also have a CD for in my storage room. I may have downloaded them from the internet, but I own them and have EVERY RIGHT to them. When a game maker tells me I can only put the game on one computer, again my ownership rights are taken away. I bought a game to play, if I want to load it on my personal computer and my laptop hell no I am not going to pay them for a second copy, I am only playing one at a time, and that is the legal definition of DIGITAL RIGHTS no matter what the EULA says. If I do not want to keep the CD in my CD drive all the time, that is MY RIGHT, my right to protect the only thing that says I OWN the software, I put the CD DVD once again, in the storage room, where it is safe and I can reproduce it in the future if it is lost from my hard disk.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
It's all just marketing. The whole challenge is a ruse to get some attention. Once it gets cracked it will get even more and that won't even harm the sales since most copyprotections that have been cracked are still being sold.
The most curious thing is, that the hardware companies and to a small part the software developers try to maximize battery runtime and application speed to get the customers to like the product. Now we start wasting CPU cycles and battery time for useless things like drm. Great work.

ADM-86

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
[citation][nom]ryokinshin[/nom]Whatever makes you people sleep at night.[/citation]
Please don't comment on something you don't know anything about...ignorance its not welcomed here.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Wrap it in another layer of software stuff that will make it run slower, so that 1) the legitimate user will have no rights of ownership and the right to use can be taken away any time (remember play for sure); 2) the pirate user might get a better performance out of the software wrapping (the scheme WILL be broken within 15 hours and 59 minutes)

saturn77

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]A Stoner[/nom]People who complain about DRM know that DRM is actually DRCMTPYFHAARTYDM Digital Rights Control Mechanism To Prevent You From Having Any Actual Rights To Your Digital Media. I could care less about DRM as far as me getting what I want from something I purchase, because there are lots of hackers out there that will defeat the DRM and allow me to have my Digital Rights that i paid for. I make alot of money and I spend alot of money. When i spend my money I want what I PAY FOR. If I pay for a song, the artist has been recompensed for their efforts and I OWN that song for MY PERSONAL use and my personal use may include an MP3 player, a CD player in my car, my computer at work, my computer at home, my laptop on trips. When DRM says that I can only play the music from the specific CD I purchased, my owner digital rights have been stolen. I personally stopped buying music maybe a decade ago, but I do not have any music on any of my devices that I do not also have a CD for in my storage room. I may have downloaded them from the internet, but I own them and have EVERY RIGHT to them. When a game maker tells me I can only put the game on one computer, again my ownership rights are taken away. I bought a game to play, if I want to load it on my personal computer and my laptop hell no I am not going to pay them for a second copy, I am only playing one at a time, and that is the legal definition of DIGITAL RIGHTS no matter what the EULA says. If I do not want to keep the CD in my CD drive all the time, that is MY RIGHT, my right to protect the only thing that says I OWN the software, I put the CD DVD once again, in the storage room, where it is safe and I can reproduce it in the future if it is lost from my hard disk.[/citation]

Bingo!

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Nottheking[/nom]Ah, a wonderful combination of hubris and greed, so Ripdev can fleece developers of their hard-earned money even faster than pirates can. Basically, what they describe is effectively what ALL DRM has done. What they fail to realize/mention is that what DRM cracking does is tunnel through said DRM protection while fooling the DRM into thinking that it's still functioning. I would not be surprised to see it broken inside of 16 hours of its release.[/citation]

You really think it will last 16 hours? You are giving this developer way more credit than I am.

Either this guy is the smartest programmer in the world or the dumbest one. I'll give it 4 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.