iPhone Falls Behind in Popularity

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zak_the_great

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
if considering profits per company 50% droiod market is divided into more than 3 to 4 companies which translates to each company making only 12% while 25% Iphone is owned by one company.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
After years with iPhones I jumped ship. It hasn't seemed like that big a deal as long as there's a charging cable close by.

I have multiple apps to do the same things iTunes did. I still don't have any automated sync software even close to replacing iTunes for music. HTC's app doesn't see media player lists as it should, Winamp talks a mean game, but in the end, it's still dragging and dropping files to put onto the flash card since nothing seems to understand filling empty space rather than copying the entire library every time.

Podcasts and streaming are better, so I just use an old iPhone as an iPod since it'll still copy music files. If I wanted to manually do it, I have a boxful of MP3 players.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Here's one way to look at it: The less popular the iPhone becomes, the less pressure Android (OS and App) developers will feel to stay competitive. Hopefully all of you Android zealots don't get your wish :p

Before you call me an Apple fanboy, hold your horses! I'm seriously considering jumping over to the Android platform if the iPhone 5 doesn't perform up to today's standards. For now I will continue to use my 3GS which hasn't given me a single issue.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]signu53[/nom]still you have to think that the iphone represents one manufacturer while android represents many. So you can take that stat with a grain of salt.[/citation]

Yupp, thats why iphone will go the same way as the mac. Apple is doing the exact same mistake once again. Arrogance or stupidity, i don't know...

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I bet many potential "recent smartphone buyers" are waiting for iPhone 5.

[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Yupp, thats why iphone will go the same way as the mac. Apple is doing the exact same mistake once again. Arrogance or stupidity, i don't know...[/citation]

In case of Macintosh, Apple isn't even trying to take over the whole market. They are going after a few small segments of the market where profit margins are high and leave the cheap and unattractive stuff to other manufacturers.

High market share doesn't always mean more profit.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]signu53[/nom]still you have to think that the iphone represents one manufacturer while android represents many. So you can take that stat with a grain of salt.[/citation]
It doesn't matter how many phone manufacturers are represented....the survey is based strictly on the OS used....which makes the survey more accurate.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]In case of Macintosh, Apple isn't even trying to take over the whole market. They are going after a few small segments of the market where profit margins are high and leave the cheap and unattractive stuff to other manufacturers.High market share doesn't always mean more profit.[/citation]

True enough - There aren't many people who are willing to pay premium for one gen old pc hardware. The green fruit have really managed to collect those sheeps nicely in their little pen!

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Meaningless study. It's only a "snapshot' of recent activations and doesn't represent industry trends at all. You could do the same study right after the iPhone 5 launch and you'd get a result that shows Apple witht he highest number of activations.

Although this study did have one result - it made he haters happy, even if only for a minute. Tomorrow morning they'll wake up to the reality that Apple dominates the portable music and tablet sector, dominates the high-end smartphone sector, is crushing the tablet sector and is making record billions in money. Yup, Apple is on a downturn alright.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom] it made he haters happy, even if only for a minute. Tomorrow morning they'll wake up to the reality that Apple dominates the portable music and tablet sector, dominates the high-end smartphone sector, is crushing the tablet sector and is making record billions in money. Yup, Apple is on a downturn alright.[/citation]

I phone is hardly a professional phone. Just a toy like android and those crappy tablets. I tunes is garbage as well.

Though i agree about this "study" Its unfortunate but i definitely see apple losing its crown as the real kings of the hill finally gear up and do something. Even if Android takes it at first anyways.

BTW whats with this site. i use to not be able to use IE to make posts and such now IE works fine but every time i try to click most links my opera gives me an about:blank page instead...

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]True enough - There aren't many people who are willing to pay premium for one gen old pc hardware. The green fruit have really managed to collect those sheeps nicely in their little pen![/citation]

One generation old, eh?
All current Macs use hardware that was up-to-date when they were released.

Only exception to this are the Core2Duos u can still find in the MacBook Air and Mac Mini. Apple stuck with the Core2Duo for so long because they didn't want to use Intel integrated graphics (which sucked very hard until the release of Sandy Bridge a few months ago). Instead they gave their customers Nvidia integrated graphics (Geforce 320m), which still is far superior to anything Intel makes.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]One generation old, eh?All current Macs use hardware that was up-to-date when they were released.Only exception to this are the Core2Duos u can still find in the MacBook Air and Mac Mini. Apple stuck with the Core2Duo for so long because they didn't want to use Intel integrated graphics (which sucked very hard until the release of Sandy Bridge a few months ago). Instead they gave their customers Nvidia integrated graphics (Geforce 320m), which still is far superior to anything Intel makes.[/citation]

He was wrong thats 2 gens old :) course you make a mac sound like a console. BTW intel graphics still blow. reminds me of the on board 4250 i disabled on my computer :eek:

G

I don't know though I just bought a Thunderbolt and had a hell of a time rooting past the signed Kernal, bootloader, etc. But if you don't root, given how much Crapware was installed and locked in place I feel like I might have gotten a more free, and user customized experience with an iPhone. Android is becoming a platform for custom OS's that are often as locked down and far inferior to iOS, as this problem is growing steadily, unless something is done about this I think Android may be derailed.
For now Rooted and happy, but as I'm not a Linux developer and primarily work in SAS if rooting keeps getting harder I may finally buy an apple product in search of a free open experience on a cell phone

G

This is a fools argument, the only measure of success is not market share but profits. To make any other case misses the point of operating a business completely. By the way, Apple makes more profit than all the other busineses combined in this segment.

G

I just dumped my one year old Droid Eris (sorry...no Android updates for you, says Verizon) for a VZ iPhone 4. Gotta say there's a world of difference, starting with the reality that the iPhone actually works well as a phone, unlike my old Eris which would often take 10 seconds just to bring up the dialer.

I wouldn't count out Apple just yet. Their profits are 10 times larger than Motorola Mobility and HTC combined. Market share is fun to talk about, but in the end, show me the money!

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
While I actually dislike Apple, this is to be expected considering the iPhone 4 has been out for a while now. New customers are going to go for what has been released more recently. Apple fanbois already have their iPhone 4g/3gs and are probably waiting for the iPhone 5/4gs.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]What a shame!!! The iPhone is waning in popularity. What will Apple do now?[/citation]

They'll bring out the new one? Which will sell more than they can produce, again. And 11 months later, it may or may not still be the most popular phone at the time, but that wouldn't reflect on it much, given it will probably be the best selling phone of all time, now would it?

Status
Not open for further replies.