iPhone Falls Behind in Popularity

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hmmm...

This data is a little misleading. You are comparing Android OS on dozens of hardware devices from several manufacturers to iOS on just a few hardware devices by one manufacturer.

I wonder if Google would be this successful if there was only one Android device?

G

@Angry Bird

imagine that Google thought they would dominate if they allowed their platform to be used on more then one hardware thus giving the consumers choice, they should have just used one hardware platform just like Apple just to make things a little fairer....

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Shiitaki[/nom]Apple competes by making products they think people will like; [/citation]

Correction: Apple competes by making people think they will like their products.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]ToneV[/nom]I just dumped my one year old Droid Eris (sorry...no Android updates for you, says Verizon) for a VZ iPhone 4. Gotta say there's a world of difference, starting with the reality that the iPhone actually works well as a phone, unlike my old Eris which would often take 10 seconds just to bring up the dialer.I wouldn't count out Apple just yet. Their profits are 10 times larger than Motorola Mobility and HTC combined. Market share is fun to talk about, but in the end, show me the money![/citation]

They don't exactly have much market share actually. When they say android has the largest market share there are like 20 phone makers that have like 1% to 4% market share of their own. There is a correlation of market share to profits they just make it vague about market share. Android is an OS not a phone. the OS has large market share the individual vendors don't.

In the area that matters market share per vendor apple has a much much larger market share then the android phone makers.. So yes market share does matter you just have to find the individuals market share not the OS.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
news flash... The Iphone is not becoming less popular.
When one company holds over 30% of a market, its HUGE. everyone and thier dog has a cell now... Apple owns 30% of them! think about that.... Apple owns 30$ of the smartphones on the planet!!

Out of all the people i know with smart phones off the top of my head...
6 iphone.
3 blackberry
0 Android.

two of the Blackberry people are considering changing to Iphone come upgrade time. No one considers Droid... I try to talk up droid but at the end of the day the Iphone is idiot proof and thats what the "average" consumer non techy wants.

When the avergage non tech buys a TV, what do they want to learn about it>? Volume, on/off/sleep button... they dont want to learn the technical side of it at all! they just want it to work.

The same goes for people Cars.... does everyone want to learn the mechanics? no they want it to "just work".

-Unfortunatly... Iphone "just works."
-blackberry just sucks now...except the torch is a decent iphone comparrison.
-Droid has no good offering up here in Canada at this time.

G

I just switched from my ah heck of a phone (Iphone 3g) which was slowly dying to death from its own cancer of an OS. To my fast, friendly and smart HTC Inspire... please apple we all knew the 3g was capable of flash, video recording capabilities and so much more but your OS and restrictions killed it...

On the other hand I use the Mac OSX for my job as I am a sound engineer and it's OSX platform is top notch for what I do for a living. Keep up the work apple on OSX and it's superior device capability (although Win 7 has done a good job) but please stop telling us what we can and cannot due with our own mobile devices.. thanks

- loyal customer till something better comes along

Status
Not open for further replies.