iPhone Hacked to Run Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Pei-chen, that may be true initially. But with any time, a simple work-around would be to emulate the needed call-outs that AT&T is looking for. The other option is to go to another network entirely.

G

WOOO LINUX! HELL YEA!!! SIGN ME UP!!

Wait... this actually just cripples the device? Wouldn't you get the same effect by throwing your iPhone off the side of a building?

I understand that it is a work in progress, but how about getting a bit more progress before you go public, eh?

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
Wouldn't it be easier to just wrap apps for Android? Isn't that linux based already? I guess I don't see the point of buying an expensive iPhone and replacing the OS as that software that originally comes with it is why the iPhone is so great.

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Lets put it this way. If you had Linux on the iPhone. You could:

1. Run almost any linux software (probably including all the nice openGL desktops too)
2. Play any format of video or audio that exists.
3. Encrypt your personal data.
4. Probably use wine and run StarCraft, Colin McRae... well basically any game that wine supports and the graphics hardware on the iPhone could handle.
5. Have a full featured desktop environment
6. Basically do anything you wanted to.

If you can already do everything you wanted to, then you dont want much :)

G

It will be nice if we can run linux and use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Open Office, Star craft you name it. Pretty much a nettop with better battery life and phone function.

Status
Not open for further replies.