iPhone Nearly Catches Fire While on an Airplane

Status
Not open for further replies.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Well it would definitely make my wife happy if her new iPhone4S bursts into flames. She hates the thing and would love to go back to a WP7 phone.

wardler

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
This makes me wonder how they keep people from packing bombs onto a plane in the shape of a smartphone. Someone could make a bomb that looked and worked like a smartphone. Will anyone scan the insides or have a bomb dog sniff it? I haven't been to the airport in a long while, but it makes you wonder...

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]Well it would definitely make my wife happy if her new iPhone4S bursts into flames. She hates the thing and would love to go back to a WP7 phone.[/citation]
Perhaps you should tell her to be careful what she wishes for? :)

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]wardler[/nom]This makes me wonder how they keep people from packing bombs onto a plane in the shape of a smartphone. Someone could make a bomb that looked and worked like a smartphone. Will anyone scan the insides or have a bomb dog sniff it? I haven't been to the airport in a long while, but it makes you wonder...[/citation]
Well nowadays you need to put all your possessions to box that goes to x-ray.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Anyone else get the feeling that Apple will void the warranty due to extinguishing your iPhone is not covered?

[citation][nom]wardler[/nom]This makes me wonder how they keep people from packing bombs onto a plane in the shape of a smartphone. Someone could make a bomb that looked and worked like a smartphone. Will anyone scan the insides or have a bomb dog sniff it? I haven't been to the airport in a long while, but it makes you wonder...[/citation]

This would not be a easy task and would require much more skill than the sloppy terrorists methods used today. It would also be hard to pack enough punch to cause a worth while amount of damage in such a small case. Then there is the fact that obviously the phone would not be operational itself and would not be capable of detonation on its own. I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
This makes me wonder how they keep people from packing bombs onto a plane in the shape of a smartphone.

If terrorists wanted a bomb in a plane, they could do it in myriads of ways. Either terrorists are stupid, or they are sitting back and waiting for America to sink on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.