iPhone to Finally Get Wi-Fi Hotspot in iOS 4.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakmove

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
This has nothing to do with apple and everything to do with AT&T. Apple finally has the iPhone on a provider that can handle this type of stuff. The features were there, just not activated because AT&T couldn't handle it. I love that the iPhone is now on other carriers. If they ever move it to sprint, i might go back to them.

G

Sure the iPhone hardware may have supported it, but even Apple themselves blocked it from the appstore. Having to jailbreak a device (and call it jailbreaking) just to install a damn application is enough reason not to use it imo. Been enjoying free wifi tethering for over a year now on tmobile, thank you. When I want an app, I just install it, thank you. No Steve Jobs pondering whether my IQ is high enough to utilize the software, or whether he should protect me from myself and damaging my precious iPhone experience.

And yes I owned an iphone for 6 months. Most annoying junk ever. Nice device, but too restrictive.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Wow this seems like a simple feature. It took THIS long to include?[/citation]

They waited for the end of the unlimited data plans. This is sound business, the apple way!

G

I would never buy iphone for verizon, but I know the consumer can win if the carriers battle phones/features out. On;y downside is when carriers band together, like introducing caps... I'm afraid to change my plan because I have cheap, unlimited Data >_>

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Even if the wifi hotspot tethering is enabled in iOS 4.3, can't ATT still charge for the feature? I just got a new iphone 4 with ATT, and as of now you have to pay extra to tether your phone to your computer. Will ATT be able to force you to pay for wifi tethering too? Curious.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]Even if the wifi hotspot tethering is enabled in iOS 4.3, can't ATT still charge for the feature? I just got a new iphone 4 with ATT, and as of now you have to pay extra to tether your phone to your computer. Will ATT be able to force you to pay for wifi tethering too? Curious.[/citation]
Dude, wi-fi tehering means your iphone will become a "router" for your other wi-fi devices, using the 3G mobile data as internet provider. You will still use data over the 3G connection, so yes, ATT will not change the terms for that. You will have to pay for it. Same goes for any other mobile network.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Dude, wi-fi tehering means your iphone will become a "router" for your other wi-fi devices, using the 3G mobile data as internet provider. You will still use data over the 3G connection, so yes, ATT will not change the terms for that. You will have to pay for it. Same goes for any other mobile network.[/citation]

Dude, I know what wifi tethering is. I don't think you understand my question.

For instance, right now I have to pay $25/month for data. To get wired tethering with my iphone, I would have to pay like an extra $15/month on top of the $25. I'm asking whether or not ATT will have an extra "wifi-tethering" charge, just like they have an extra wired tethering charge.

It would be nice to wifi tethering without having to pay anything extra on top of the data plan.

Raccio14

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]Dude, I know what wifi tethering is. I don't think you understand my question.For instance, right now I have to pay $25/month for data. To get wired tethering with my iphone, I would have to pay like an extra $15/month on top of the $25. I'm asking whether or not ATT will have an extra "wifi-tethering" charge, just like they have an extra wired tethering charge.It would be nice to wifi tethering without having to pay anything extra on top of the data plan.[/citation]

considering the kind of greedy corporate pigs ATT are, I'd say it's safe to assume that they're going to attempt to squeeze every last penny that they can out of you.

bsbsbsbs

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Wowwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!! You've surprised me Apple. Doing something for the customers for a change. But your still crapple and always will be.

bsbsbsbs

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
By the way guys you get seriously screwed with your data plans in the States.

Compare this to your plans. Samsung Galaxy S, $59 cap with $550 of calls a month, $0 upfront for the phone, 2 year contract, Unlimited text, Unlimited voicemail, 2gb data a month and that's HSDPA as well. No one pays for data plans here.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]jakmove[/nom]This has nothing to do with apple and everything to do with AT&T. Apple finally has the iPhone on a provider that can handle this type of stuff. The features were there, just not activated because AT&T couldn't handle it. I love that the iPhone is now on other carriers. If they ever move it to sprint, i might go back to them.[/citation]
I love it....People automatically bash Apple for everything....It has always been ATT stopping the wifi hotspot on the Iphone...I have had my ATT reps tell me that

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Amazing how it took Apple nearly 3 years to include this feature all the while jailbroken ones enjoyed it.

Not to mention that many other phones have had this built-in for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.