iPhone X vs. Galaxy S8: Which Flagship Phone Wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madnutta2021

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017
Strongly disagree here on the display catagory. Just looking at the screens side by side can you see the advantage of the high pixel density on the s8s. Ypu also need a catagory for usability.

gavin.sheppard

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017
I thought Apple had used the Samsung OLED screen, or so other write ups declare! Set up is easily adjustable so this comparison is a bit misleading

drizzt545

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017
I thought samsung was making the screen for the new iphones? Why would there be a big difference if this is true?

mig6220

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017
Alot of Samsung features are left out.
Gigabit Lte compatibility. Two hour movie downloaded in seconds. Samsung yes, apple no.
Larger ram closes the speeds in real life tests. Apple has to close apps before opening, where Samsung catch up. Saw this test on another site.
Samsung pay rewards real money back ($5-100 debit cards etc), and works everywhere there is card swipe. Apple doesn't.
Add in other stuff-apple phones splitting while charging, latest ios update eating up battery life.... etc
How about not leaving out features to get the desired result?

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for the comments. It’s ironic but even though Samsung supplies the OLED Screen I had different writers and editors look at both displays and all of them picked iPhone X as better. So Apple is obviously doing extra work in terms of tuning and optimization’s.

krazievivian

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
Caucasians are pale skinned so naturally when u take a pic it'll look pale on the galaxy s8(+) but the iPhone shows warmer skin tone which you obviously do not possess so I have to give the Samsung flagship the edge...I'm not racist

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
The photo may not do the differences justice, but I assure you it was unanimous when we looked at the screens side by side. The S8 is indeed sharper, but the iPhone X offers better color accuracy and wider viewing angles.
Not sure what you mean by usability. Ease of use?

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for your comment. Gigabit LTE is a good one but that would still give the win to S8 in special features. It is worth doing a real-world speed test though on same network, so that's a great follow-up idea.

Larger RAM doesn't make much difference in real-world tests we run. Loading apps from the background is one test, but I could see tangible difference with A11 when loading levels in games. There's simply less waiting with iPhone X.

Samsung Pay is more widely available than Apple Pay but again that would give Samsung edge in category it already wins in special features. Plus, adoption of mobile payments isn't that great.

According to WSJ, Just 13% of iPhone users have tried the mobile-payment service, by one estimate. Apple Pay has the highest usage at 5.5%; still below its 5.9% peak
Walmart Pay has second highest at 5.1%, with a significant growth since last quarter
Samsung Pay third at 3.3% https://www.pymnts.com/mobile-wallet-adoption-2017/

So Samsung is behind both Apple and Walmart in adoption.

simon.rowell

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
As Apple uses a Samsung OLED display (but at a lower resolution to the S8) with the S8's screen having multiple setup choices. this metric should be at least a draw. So that makes the S8 the superior phone overall. Good to see Apple making an effort to try to catch up, though.

simon.rowell

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
Your battery life score is incorrect. Based on your measurements, there is a 1.5% difference between the two phones (with the Apple having that advantage here). In real life, as you note, that's a wash - the phones should at least score the same here.

simon.rowell

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
Apple's use of a lower resolution Samsung display in the iPhone X is something Apple doesn't like to admit for obvious reasons. However, the higher resolution of the S8, the configuration possibilities of the S8 and the beautiful and functional curved edges, clearly make the S8 the winner in that category. Color textures are too highly subjective to be a valid measurement on their own. The S8 is the superior phone overall, but it's good to see Apple waking up to the fact that their phones have been very bland for several years. That should help spur innovation rather than complacency.

motonsuccess

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
There is always bias from American media sources towards Apple since it's an American company. This iPhone was made possible with help from Samsung.

simon.rowell

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017

Such are the inaccuracies and bias of this article, that it should either be removed or corrected to show the S8 as the superior device. To do otherwise would be a disservice to everyone including Apple.

mikedoyleblogger

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017
This review is a train wreck. The title says you're comparing the S8 with the X. The photos all contain the S8+, not the S8. And the copy seems to have no idea there's a difference between them.

tomcollins

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
BOTH WAY TOO EXPENSIVE tech advances should get cheaper- as in PCs, phones are the newest consumer debt enticement

ryanmitchell575

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
I strongly disagree with who won the photo category. The iPhone X does have two photos that look better but, all of the other by the Galaxy 8 look much better. The flash photo is clearly better in the galaxy phone. You can almost read the gas meter in the background in the Galaxy photo, the orange is much more vibrant and all of the white in the photo from the iPhone X has a tanish pink tint to it. The last photo, while you do look better tan, is definitely more realistic. All you have to do is look at the yellow tint of your teeth in the iPhone X to see that. The iPhone looks as though they simply added a warm filter to every photo that is taken instead of actually making the camera better.

eosman76

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
I think the S8 is a throwback in terms of style and build to the S2 and no one can argue about the processing power of the Apple X compared to it, but we have often seen technical products that are comparatively more highly specified to their rivals not selling as well in the global market place due to the fact that as consumers, we need our products to meet our expectations, which is not always achieved because the software or app is not able to take full advantage of the product with the superior hardware. One thinks of the console wars of the late 80's and early 90's and so on to know what happened there. I personally think that we will get to an era within the next 5-10 years where these smartphones will replace the tablet or the notebook and do it all as Bill Gates predicted some 20 years ago, and these generation of smartphones are merely a testing ground for what is about to take off when we are in our 30's 40's or 50's respectively.

javygarcia420

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
Bro. You got the hoompa loompa tan going on in that iphone x pic xD "shows the vibrant colors of my shirt". Dude just stop. Get off the wheel. You ain't fooling no one.

bigtalon

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Real question:

Does it matter?

iPhone X uses Samsung technology, Thus Samsung is going to make Billions from the sale of the iPhone X, and Billions from it's own phone. This is the reason Apple is beginning to sink, they are using Samsung Technology to make their phones, so Samsung is profiting from both sides of the coin. Quite the marketing scheme haha. People comparing the 2 phones cracks me up, Because the iPhone X is always going to be behind the Samsung Phone, because Samsung throws them the last gen technology while using the new gen for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.