iPhone XS vs. Galaxy Note 9: Why Apple's Camera Wins

Sep 22, 2018
Why don't you take a bunch of random pictures again and let us select the ones that we like best for your winner because this seemed very very biased

Sep 22, 2018
I disagree with some of the verdicts. In my opinion, most of the photos taken with the Galaxy Note 9 look overall better than the ones from iPhone XS. Of course, this can be subjective and up to one's personal preference and liking but I wouldn't rely too much on the reviewer's overall judgment here. Also, you can see there has been quite a lot of post-processing with the new iPhone XS's "smart HDR" mode used, which in my opinion makes the photos less natural. Just a software trick.

Sep 22, 2018
This is very biased. Some of the pictures that were deemed worse are better than the Note 9.

These type of test are based solely on opinion and have little to no scientific basis behind it. This is so subjective that I struggle to see how anyone could legitimately call this a "test".

Sep 22, 2018
I realize I had an error in my post. What I was trying to say was that I felt the Note 9 produced better pictures.

Sep 22, 2018
I was 6 to 3 too, in favor of the Note. You guys can't can't "declare a winner" just because some biased guy who works for you thinks the XS's washed out photos are more "true to life".

Sep 22, 2018
Okay dude, the pics aren't of the same thing and there is nothing that is compelling enough to say XS takes better pictures. The comments on this post and the pictures themselves tell the unbiased story.

Sep 22, 2018
If you're gonna say the iPhone took better pictures than the Note9, you should at least make sure the pictures ARE actually better. Or at least leave it to a consensus vote or something. Otherwise your article looks like a totally biased load of hot garbage...

lcbozo

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Well, I don't have a dog in this "fight" and thus don't care about any such overpriced phones. I also produce 3D artwork with a Win 10 dual Xeon workstation, and work with much graphics color/shading conditions. I thought the review was pretty fair, and did see the basis for the reviewers conclusions. Personally, I think both phones, depending on the user, and a huge variety of environmental conditions, are pretty much equal.

Sep 24, 2018
The problem with his basis for conclusion in the bar photo for example is that depending on the way you analyze each photo changes the conclusion. I found the Notes photo in that instance significantly more clear seeing as the Iphones was so dark i couldn't see anything.

techconc

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
Some on this forum are suggesting it's better to let people vote on pictures. I disagree. Without exception, the masses will always choose the over saturated images that are not actually the best quality. The approach of choosing the best picture and stating the reasons for the preference is generally the best way to go.

Oct 1, 2018
I agree with many of the posters here, many of the Note 9 photos were better. Keyword - contrast.

The iPhone definitely lacked contrast in many shots.

Secondly, I would like to see the EXIF.

Oct 1, 2018
I agree with many of the posters here, you really need to have your eyes checked.

The iPhone clearly lacks contrast in many of the photos, some where obviously wonky (too much green or blue).

Nov 18, 2018
Note 9 looks more sharper. And your shots are not same. Try to shoot same time together by using tripod or monopad use timer or voice command so it can shoot at the same time.