iPod Shuffle Sales Surge 50 Percent, But Why?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
This new one is a great start, and just like every other time Apple makes a significant update, this one will be refined. There will be all sorts of colors and little refinements in the next shuffle update. Look at when the mini underwent a major design change into the nano. Then the nano's shell was improved to be more durable and with an screen that wouldn't scratch, with multiple colors. Then they added video capability and an improved interface in the next release, but it wasn't as form-fitting with its new shape. Then they brought back the slimmer design from the second generation but kept the larger screen, improved interface, and even added new colors.

So, that means you might want to wait until next year's refresh if this model doesn't interest you, but there's no need to panic.

Shit, I should be writing articles for Tom's. At least I have a degree of integrity, which seems to be severely lacking on this site nowadays.

Oh and can't you guys have an editorial section? You can have a LITTLE bit of speculation and opinion in a "news" article, but it must be thoroughly based in fact and substantiated with solid reasoning and research. If you want to write an opinion piece, make an "editorial section" and don't lump it with your news articles.

Just a suggestion..

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
[citation][nom]JimmiG[/nom]I don't get iPods, at least not the smaller, low-capacity ones. I bought a no-name MP3 player which was available from 1GB to 8GB, comes with a proper screen, lots of functions, good sound quality, I can use any headphones etc. I can understand why someone would want something like an iPod Touch, because they've got some strong features and a good design going for them. But why pay more for a 4GB Shuffle than you do for a generic 8GB player with all those extra features?[/citation]

Because of the great utilities involved and the accessory support involved. I used Creative players and others, and although sometimes the hardware is higher quality for a similar price when you choose another manufacturer, the support and versatility is unparalleled with the iPods. My iPhone is the single greatest device I've ever used, and that's saying something given how much experience I have with technology.

Now I'm not an Apple fanboy given that I'm PC based and hate what I call the "Mac Myth". I just like good products, and I call them where I see them. The Apple line of mp3 players has proven superior, and most other manufacturers have proven a liability to buy into.
If you genuinely prefer another brand or a particular model mp3 player, congratulations and I'm glad you're happy with your product. But disliking Apple products simply because they're popular is ridiculous. Obviously not everybody who buys them is a retard, so they just might have something good going. If you don't understand that, it's your fault, not everybody else's.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
All the nerds cry again... you will never figure out marketing or women, no use trying just give up.

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]KyleSTL[/nom]In Apple's defense AAC sounds much better at a given bitrate than MP3. That is definitely the top reason I would buy another iPod next time (I have a 40GB Gen 3 which cost $500 in 2004).[/citation]
Creative Zen players(the new ones) also play AAC(M4A files) :)

G

I'm staying with Cowon!
Nothing beats it price and toolswise.
Cowon even playsback .ogg files!

G

Stop bitching and go back to the Clip. Then try and go figure that Apple is selling an ecosystem. The new shuffle is only the cheapest part of it. I just tried it. It's radically simple and very easy to use. Remember when Apple decided to get rid of the floppy drive. Apple is taking a risk here and you never know who might find the simplicity appealing enough to plunk 80 bucks.

urlsen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
If they just made it with bluetooth 2.1 so i could jog whit it and not clip it on the clothers
maby water tigth...use it swimming wirelessly....that i would buy...dont need a screen...but would like a few buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.