Iran Uses AMD for Rocket Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Embargoes are useless. Don't bother imposing one unless you're willing to build a wall around the entire country.

I wonder if the Israelis use Intel and Windows on their HPC clusters.

dragonfang18

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
At least its not a MAC... Lol. No offense to Mac lovers. I like all computers. Look at Wall-E and EVE its like MAC and PC together... Sorry for off topic.

G

Right because it's so hard to buy equipment outside of the country, drive back to the boarder of your country, then show your government pass, and finally get let into the country with your backseat stuffed full of electronics because the border guards have been told that, regardless of the reason, they will be shot if they stop anyone with a government pass.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Is the embargo imposed by AMD or the U.S. government, I'm so confused. It says AMD never authorized its processors for sale there, but what kind of company issues an embargo? Don't they just say that "market conditions in Iran are simply not compatible with our business model"?

You expect Iran to use Intel? Not much of a chance there.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Embargoes are useless. Don't bother imposing one unless you're willing to build a wall around the entire country.I wonder if the Israelis use Intel and Windows on their HPC clusters.[/citation]They would work at least somewhat better if our allies joined us in enforcing it. But these were supposedly black market goods, so they didn't come through direct channels and were smuggled in carefully. If that was the case there's not much you can do without sending in Chuck Norris clones. Anyway, I think its more likely that the French are making a substantial profit with their new CPUs for Oil program. 1 CPU = 10,000 barrels.

joz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Embargoes are useless. Don't bother imposing one unless you're willing to build a wall around the entire country.I wonder if the Israelis use Intel and Windows on their HPC clusters.[/citation]

Were do you think the Conore core was designed?

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Well General Electric has been caught multiple times selling materials to Iran. Considering that GE is the parent company of NBC, and NBC News its no wonder people dont hear about this more often. With that said AOL has also been known to do business with Iran. AOL is owned by Time Warner which is the parent company to both Time Magazine and CNN (Its all Ted Turner) so no wonder they always do puff pieces for Iran.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Embargoes are useless. Don't bother imposing one unless you're willing to build a wall around the entire country.I wonder if the Israelis use Intel and Windows on their HPC clusters.[/citation]

The Pentium M, further refined up to the Core architecture was developed in at Intel's Israel R&D facilities

Emusnacks

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
/startjoke

AMD Dual-cores? Pff, don't worry.. their rockets will run out of L2 cache long before they reach their destination.

/endjoke

I love AMD.

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
lol big news ..... fss

Like theres anything else other then amd and intel cpus to power servers or hpc`s. Maybe Iran will make a 16 core CPU with integrated GPU on their own and keep it for themselves.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]dragonfang18[/nom]At least its not a MAC... Lol. No offense to Mac lovers. I like all computers. Look at Wall-E and EVE its like MAC and PC together... Sorry for off topic.[/citation]

sorry to continue with the off-topic stuff, but Wall-E is also mac, due to the fact that when he boots up, the mac welcome sound comes along with the boot-up.

G

I highly doubt those girls are Iranian! You can recognize by their outfit.
They better displayed a sandbag with a cloth wrapped around and 2 holes for the eyes... Burka (Boorka) is what they call it or something....

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
FINALLY! I good AMD marketing scheme. I love it! I'm not a fan of the government of Iran (especially in light of what is happening there as I write this), but hey, more AMD sales hahaha ... besides, it makes sense, given that Intel is basically operated by Israel (USA, same thing). At least the Iranian government isn't a hypocrite (in this matter). Ciao!

G

Blatantly anti-AMD propaganda, surely the work of Intel since rednecks would tend to go for the lower-cost option, and this may be one of the only ways to sway them... Do any "enemies" of the US have Intel inside?

PS: Let's look a bit closer at the 2000/2002/2004 elections in the US before we tell anybody else how to run theirs... Unless of course Iran is found to be using Diebold electronic voting machines...

Ryun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
However, according to Mehdi Noorbaksh, an associate professor of international affairs at the Harrisburg University of Science and Technology in Pennsylvania, Iran buys most of its technology on the black market. "That market provides Iran with what the authorities need for these projects," Noorbaksh said.

This isn't at all against Tom's but: Duh.

Status
Not open for further replies.