Question Is a VPN really useful when Working from home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2020
Due to the ongoing crisis I have been working from home. I read on several places online where they suggested to use a VPN. I was wondering if its really necessary to do so or should I access the internet like I always did?

If you don´t have critical data or similar it´s not necessary. The problem is that a non VPN connection could be more likely intercepted and data could be stolen or copied. This can lead to economical disadvantages. If e.g. schematics of an electronic product is getting into someones hands, this guy could sell it to the
competitor of your company.

Reactions: aaliyahreynolds
Apr 7, 2020
If you don´t have critical data or similar it´s not necessary. The problem is that a non VPN connection could be more likely intercepted and data could be stolen or copied. This can lead to economical disadvantages. If e.g. schematics of an electronic product is getting into someones hands, this guy could sell it to the
competitor of your company.

Aah, that makes sense totally! Thanks a lot @helpstar

Sep 29, 2020
Yes, when I was doing work-from-home (WFH). I used to connect VPN software before doing any activity on the internet.

The main purpose is to avoid data breaches because when you operate from a remote location, you become an easy target for hackers and data snoopers. That’s the reason it’s good to use a VPN.

In the end, I would say If you're not using a VPN then you should start using it because it might help you to be on the safer side.

Status
Not open for further replies.