Is buying a 2011 MacBook Pro worth it in 2016?

kevinakerberg

Estimable
Oct 14, 2015
Hi everyone,
I have been without a laptop for a year now and I want a mobile machine again. I've been doing all of my work on my desktop, but its time to get a laptop again. I would like a macbook, but don't want to spend $2000 on a new machine. I've found a great deal on a 15 inch 2011 macbook pro. It has a quad core Sandy bridge i7 and can be upgraded to 8gb of ram. It also has dedicated graphics. I've looked up the parts themselves and they're awesome. Even more so for the price I'll pay. But I want someone else's input. Is this a good buy? Thanks.

Solution
Maybe, depends on the price. FYI, you do know Apple sells what I call the "legacy" MBP starting at $1099 on their website? Or $999 on the Education Store, if that applies to you.

This will essentially give you 2011 specs or better, ability to upgrade RAM and hard drive later on if you want. It does NOT have retina display, force touch pad, etc.

http://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MD101LL/A&step=config#

On the education site, $999 base + $135 (for i7) + $90 (for 8gb) = $1224. Also you get a free $300 set of Beats headphones. Sell them on Craigslist to reduce your overall cost.

Probably more than the USED 2011 MBP, but you will get more life out of this one as well. Just a thought.

nolimits76

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Maybe, depends on the price. FYI, you do know Apple sells what I call the "legacy" MBP starting at $1099 on their website? Or $999 on the Education Store, if that applies to you.

This will essentially give you 2011 specs or better, ability to upgrade RAM and hard drive later on if you want. It does NOT have retina display, force touch pad, etc.

http://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MD101LL/A&step=config#

On the education site, $999 base + $135 (for i7) + $90 (for 8gb) = $1224. Also you get a free $300 set of Beats headphones. Sell them on Craigslist to reduce your overall cost.

Probably more than the USED 2011 MBP, but you will get more life out of this one as well. Just a thought.

Solution