Is Capcom Trying to Thwart Used Games Sector?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Wonder if a powerful magnet will erase the data on the cartridge? Someone will figure something out...lol. Game developers do deserve to get paid for their work and the gaming industry as a whole is very risky due to used sales as well as pirating. So I dont blame CapCom for trying to thwart the trend. I personally buy games because I want the gaming industry to thrive but I wait for new games to go down in price since $59 for a new title is way over priced.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
2nd hand game stores are the ones that push preordering new games the most. For example, when I worked at Gamecrazy, and Halo 3 came out, we pushed preorders, to the point to where we had 600 preorders for the game in our one store.

If companies continue to try and get rid of 2nd hand games, the stores will fall, and sales of new games will go down as an unintended side effect.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Thumb me down if you want, but after news like this. this will be one game I definitely would pirate. I can back up however many times I want and make sure my hard earned save files are safe from accidental deletion or corruptions.

These people really don't get it, it's DRM all over again.

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Thumb me down if you want, but after news like this. this will be one game I definitely would pirate. I can back up however many times I want and make sure my hard earned save files are safe from accidental deletion or corruptions.These people really don't get it, it's DRM all over again.[/citation]

I agree. It's come to the point where pirating is not about saving money. I see, for example, Mirror's Edge, in a bargain bin for ~5$, but I don't feel like buying it because it comes with online activation and DRM headaches, and because the gameplay stank anyway despite all the hype. Not worth it.

They can save money by keeping only the real game designers on staff and firing all the suits who have nothing to do with gaming. With online distribution, I had hoped to see old-school programmers return to independence from these greedy corp publishers ...

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]Of course, they are going to loose customers by doing crap like this and if they piss them off enough they will never get those customers back.Oh well[/citation]
Of course if everyone does it the playing field will be level and purchasers will go back to content quality.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I don't think this has been mentioned yet but if you think about this. This is actually quite a game breaking DRM. Perhaps not to Mercenaries as its really just stages and dying has no real effect. But imagine a normal Resident Evil game or many other games actually. Let's say you
are right before a tough boss fight, your already hurt and have no healing items you just saved and at the tough boss in one hit. Your screwed time to start a new game right? Wrong, your save game is stuck there. A save you will never use again is stuck there and possibly stopping you from ever saving again. Now your forced to buy another copy of the game if you wish yo have any hope of getting further.

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
@NuclearShadow. That was exactly the scenario I was thinking of. I have this happen to me many times and yeah unless there is a restart chapter option you are really screwed and gotta start the whole game over.

Not a smart move by Capcom.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I don't know about you folks, but when I see a video game I like (That isn't from some of my favorite developers like Bethesda) I either buy it used months after it comes out for a thirty dollar difference, or I download it.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
"...most publishers and developers claim that it's hurting the overall industry revenue, that used games sales does more damage than piracy."

Really? What's next?

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Anyone know of a review site that has a section called "limitations"? I haven't found one yet. What I mean is anything related to DRM, savegames, etc. Even Pokemon for the DS (which I get for my kids) is hampered in this aspect, only one save game. Would be great if my kids could share the game. Should also list things such as online activation and what it is tied to (PC id, HD id), whether you can undo it for one console/PC and move it to another (in case your system breaks and needs replacing).

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]cburke82[/nom]So what if I like replaying the game more than the ammount of blank save slots but purchased the game new? This is crazy....[/citation]
I completely agree...
I played through The Ledgend of Zelda: Link to the Past like 5 or 6 times and same with Super Metroid.

It's one thing to try to stop piracy but this will lower the value of a game when it cannot be resold. It's especially bad for me cause I never like to pay full price. Last game I got I paid $30 for 2 games and before that didn't pay much to buy Ninja Gadien Sigma 2 (used) and Wrachet and Clank (used).

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
sorry but no one has yet mentioned Steam.

I bought half-life 2 on ebay and wasn't allowed to use it becasue the game was connected to another account ( guy gave me refund BUT ) .

I'm not a big steam user. Does steam efftectively stop the resale of all games or just valve games??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS