Is Costco the quality:price ratio king?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rhino1000

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Dear people,

I am moving away to college this semester, and am in the market for a new laptop! I have a budget of $900 or less. I want to be able to play games such as League of Legends on high quality (if that even exists), and basically I want the best performance out of a laptop that I can get, without breaking the bank. I want to be able to start up any new computer game, whether that be Steam, or World of Warcraft, and be able to play that game on maximum quality, while having about 10 internet tabs open and microsoft office and excel open as well. As well as an ebook.

I would really appreciate help on this matter. Earlier this week, my mom pointed out Costco ads that were sitting around in the living room, and it looked like their laptops were pretty fairly priced (see below). What I would like you guys to do for me is:
- give me your opinion. Look at a few of those laptops that are priced at 899.99$. They have an i7 processor, and about 16 GB RAM. For example, look at:
http://www.costco.com/HP-ENVY-dv6t-Quad-Laptop%2c-Intel%c2%ae-Core%e2%84%a2-i7-3630QM-2.4GHz%2c-Blu-ray-Player.product.100044251.html

^ is there anywhere else that I could buy a similar/better quality laptop for cheaper?

I have a budget of 900$; is there anywhere that I could pick up a better laptop than that for 900 dollars or less?

http://www.costco.com/all-laptops.html
I am looking at this list of computers, as sorted by "price: high to low."

If Costco, like I suspect, has the best prices around, which of those ~ 7 laptops in the 700-900 dollar range would you recommend?

I appreciate any help, truly!

Edit:
It's all good.

caydn12

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

Can't tell if that is sarcasm or if you are being legit (insert meme of Fry from futurama)

Linux is pretty nifty for servers. I find far less trouble installing DNS, DHCP, and FTP servers on Linux than I do on Windows (The GUI Messes me up big time and using the Shell (teminal) in linux just is completely fun)

However.. ~90% of the market is controlled by windows, 9% is controlled by MAC OS, and then there is linux.. Hahahaha

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Oh the junk detector has been going haywire lately, it's been reporting messages as spam when they haven't been. But that ccmalls is a nuisance and the other mods know it.

But no it will not affect your processing speed, but it WILL improve your Frames per second! My suggestion is, if you want to game, splurge $100 and get the dedicated GPU, since that will make a huge difference when gaming!

You can get the clevo Sager NP6350 for $900 with the 660m http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np6350-clevo-w350etq-p-489... if the $100 is out of reach.

I'd second this - or get a Lenovo Y500. Most of the systems they sell at Costco are trash with slow hard drives and poor quality GPUs.

caydn12

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

Wait what? lol.

rhino1000

Honorable
May 14, 2013

Thanks for the help, bro. I didn't mean to be disrespectful, I was merely pointing out that the computer you did link to, did not include the operating system!

I really do appreciate the help. Particularly, I never knew the importance of a good GPU.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Yup it's definitely one of the best values for a laptop you can get. I ordered mine direct from Lenovo and it's a slightly different configuration from the one offered at Newegg with a GTX 750M, 1TB HD, 16GB SSD cache, and an optical drive.

attk mast3r

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012