Is gtx 1060 laptops prone to overheating?

Woodensen

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello guys, i am planning to get a 1060 laptop later around January.

So i have heard that the main concern of gaming laptop is overheating issue due to the tight space of the device it does not allow more room for cooling. However, the problem seems to affect more on higher end graphic cards (e.g. gtx 1070/1080) simply because they use more power.

So the question is, considering the lower power consumption of pascal architecture, will gtx 1060 laptop prone to overheat (assuming no overclocking)?

I am currently aiming for SAGER NP8171 (CLEVO P670RP6)

EDIT: will the upcoming gtx 1050 laptop overheats? I assume because it will be less powerful than 1060, it will produce less heat?

Solution
I might have seen one 1060 laptop that throttled... everyone else might run hot but no one else throttled, or overheated.

Sager laptops were one of the first to roll out 1060 laptops and I found it showed in reviews because the cooling solutions weren't optimized. Fan noise was higher then average for the 14 and 15 inch models. Going with sager should mean you can update the graphics card in the future, however it looks like only some of the higher spec SAGER NP8171 notebooks offer thunderbolt 3, I would ensure you get the lowest spec that offers it.
The bigger issue is how laptop manufacturer's handle heat dissipation by any card. As with most other things, different manufacturers have differing results.

Sager, as a general rule, have been fairly successful in keeping their gaming laptops fairly cool (by laptop standards at least).

Woodensen

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

Thank you for the reply. Yeah i am looking at sager as well.

However, the gtx 1060 sager comes with a "slim" design. Will it mess with the heat dissipation system?

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
I might have seen one 1060 laptop that throttled... everyone else might run hot but no one else throttled, or overheated.

Sager laptops were one of the first to roll out 1060 laptops and I found it showed in reviews because the cooling solutions weren't optimized. Fan noise was higher then average for the 14 and 15 inch models. Going with sager should mean you can update the graphics card in the future, however it looks like only some of the higher spec SAGER NP8171 notebooks offer thunderbolt 3, I would ensure you get the lowest spec that offers it.

Solution

azekaul

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
When it comes to heating I feel that this one is one of the best.
MSI VR Ready GT72VR Dominator Pro-015 17.3"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IO9Y3RO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2BO0KNUVAJ9AI&coliid=I2WYL9W5HB0IX5&th=1

https://youtu.be/pi0REWEH3b0?t=281
In this video they start to show the heat that it produces. They go and open up the laptop showing the insides. The GPU and CPU have their own fan and heat pipes (3).

This one runs around $1,800.

There is the $1,524 option that gives you a 1060 instead of the 1070 and 16 gig of ram instead of the 32. Second from the top in the options.