Is 'Half-Life 3' the New 'Duke Nukem Forever'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
There's two key differences:

1º Valve doesn't rely just on the Half-Life franchise. They could be just sitting their asses off managing Steam and still make money. They can take their time.

2º Half Life 3 isn't announced in any shape. We know for sure it will be released some day, but there's no official news and no proposed date of release.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
DNF i really hope not. i would be more than happy if they shelve it, if it doesnt meet expectations. and them expectations are very high indeed...
also if i remember right the devs said at the release of hl2 ep2 it would be 8-10 years in development if they were to ever make hl3 as ground breaking as hl2. so theres still some time to go if that statement holds true...
but honestly im past caring as the originals are held in such high regard. so im perfectly happy if they dont release it if it will never eclipse the originals. better to burn out than fade away as they say...

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Why the hell do people act all stupid saying it's not in development?? They have already said it is in development along with a new engine, Gabe has said so himself!

Do you really think Valve is going to walk away from one of the best selling games of all time and leave the ending of the last Episode like that? Yes it's taking a damn long time but abandoning the game...come on.

Q4 of next year at the very latest!

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
the thing is valve only goes to 2 and then stops it is like they can't count to 3 and its not hard it goes like this 1 2 3. :p i would like to have a half-life 3 a portal 3 or a lfd3

Divyanshu Sah

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
I really want the third episode. I hadnt yet played any of them . But i Heard its a fantastic.
So i would love to play it if it is going to have eye catching graphics.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I enjoyed "Duke Nukem Forever", myself. It had that "retro"" feel that brought back playing the games in the relatively distant past, for me. Sure it could have been better, but the fact that it was released at all puts a "+1" beside Gearbox' name in my book. I really hope a later version is more polished and plays more like a modern game of course - there is a reason some of that "retro feel" is no longer around. As far as its "crass, offensive" humor, well, that's Duke Nukem, and if you don't enjoy that kind of thing (and don't understand that it is blatantly poking fun at itself in its style of humor), then don't play it :)

Complaining about Valve's schedule is rather pointless, in my opinion. Maybe Valve "should" think more in terms of production schedules, but they are even less focused on that than other dev companies. There are leaks that indicate it is still being worked on, and that's really all we need to know at this point. "Patience" is key here, I think.

Aljosha Breimer

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
The most logical step would be to develop a new Source Engine and the release 3rd instalment of every game they released. Half-Life 3, Left for Dead 3, Team Fortress 3, Portal 3 etc... Hence the quote "Valve cant count to 3".

Status
Not open for further replies.