Is it okay to get a pair of hi-end headphones with Bluetooth 4.2 in 2019 (B&O BeoPlay H9i)

Jan 18, 2019
Hi.

I'm planning to get a pair of hi-end Bluetooth Headphones and afer trying a few of them, picked B&O BeoPlay H9i. With an interchangeable battery, these prove to be a nice long-lasting pair of headphones, that I'll be able to use for years. The only thing that stopped me from buying these right away, was the fact, that they use Bluetooth 4.2.

Comparing Bluetooth 4.2 to 5.0, the only thing that could possibly really matter to me is the connection range and its stability, but I can not really tell if there is a difference in real world usage.

So, I wonder if there is anyone who can tell from his/her experience, if I'll be really missing out on something, picking a Bluetooth 4.2 over a BT 5.0 version, that may or may not be released soon.

Thanks.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
If you are an audiophile, who wants to get the best of the best sound quality possible, Bluetooth audio will never be an option.
If you like convenient solutions especially for on-the-way option combined with your mobile phone, Bluetooth headset is the way to go. I always carry my Sony MDR-100abn.
Bluetooth version is not the deciding factor for buying headset, at least for me. Sound quality for Bluetooth devices will always be not as good as cabled high-end devices.
It is more of your usecase. What is your plan with your headset.

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
If you've tried them and they sound good to you then I see little reason to wait. If you want them then there is obviously a reason you do. Worrying about something that isn't even out yet, when the alternative already is, and already meets your needs isn't a great way to decide on a purchase.

If you are happy with what you are looking at then there is no need to wait.

ElectrO_90

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
I agree with Justin, if they sound great to you, why are you worrying about Blutooth 5? If you are worrying about that, won't you worry they will bring an even better version of the headphones you are about to buy? It will always be a waiting game, either buy it or don't.
We all hear things differently which is why we have to find the headphones that suit our own style of music as well as comfort.

Remember, if you keep waiting you will never get anything. You know a new version WILL come out, just like a car. Next years model should be better for the same price, but if you wait for that, you may as wait for the model the year after.

Jan 18, 2019

Jan 18, 2019
Hi.

Having a pair of FOSTEX TH-900 MK2, I know the difference between wired and BT headphones :)

It is not a wired vs Bluetooth discussion, but answering your question: listening on the go and in loud crowded places (having a cord + external DAC is not that convenient fot this scenario, as you might guess).

Jan 18, 2019

I've got you your point. Thanks for the opinion, all of the opinions, actually :)

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Just ignore the BT version, this thing has almost no real impact on your BT headphone experience.
If you plan to get a new BT headset, get those with active NC and with tons of battery stamina.
Exchangeable battery is not that important if the stamina is bad.

Jan 18, 2019

The interchangeable battery is to ensure that after, say, two years, when the battery stamina degrades naturally, I'll be able to get a new one and have a like-new pair of headphones. The stamina itself is estimated at 20 hours, which is plenty.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
My MDR-100abn is already more than 2 years.
It is still capable on that 20 hours like 2 years ago.
But, if you can find a headphone/set with replaceable one and if the stamina is good. It would be ideal.
Do not forgot comfort too. I found Sony and Bose to be the most comfortable.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with B&O BeoPlay H9i. I dunno how good are the ANC, sound quality and comfort on this unit.

Jan 18, 2019

I agree, that Sony and Bose fit well, but Bose sucks so bad in terms of looks, imo, that I cannot ever consider them.

Among the hight end offers, imo: Sony - tech and ANC; Bose - good overall; B&O - sound, build and feel; B&W - sound (ANC is not all that good, neither is the fit).