Is it possible for a bad inverter cable to damage the screen or LED?

Sobha Gadi

Estimable
May 6, 2014
My laptops screen recently suffered some problems and I diagnosed it myself as an issue with the inverter or the cable that connects it to the screen. The laptop is an HP Probook.

Living in Pakistan and not having any official HP service center's available, I took it to one of the many self trained laptop technicians around. The guy diagnosed the issue as one with the cable.

Heres where things get weird:
He told me he repaired a cable that had the problem. As far as I know, it isnt possible to repair a bad cable. Additionally, he told me that using the laptop for a while with a bad cable caused a short circuit in the LED(he said LED and not LCD) and i would need to have it replaced. The laptop works but a apparently it will overheat with prolonged use is what he told me.
He still has thr laptop and ill pick it up soon.

My reason for skepticism is that often in Pakistan, technicians create more problems to get money. Additionally, i dont think you can just repair a broken cable.

Could anyone tell me if what he is saying is correct and my screen(LED/LCD?) Is actually fried and will overheat as he says because the inverter cable ruined it or is he just lying to make more money?

Zooshooter

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
If the inverter is damaged then it is VERY possible that it could overheat, melt, or even catch on fire. Bad inverters are no joke. If it's the cable that is damaged...well, I've never seen replacement cables for those before, but I suppose if you're really handy with wiring and can salvage the connectors you could maybe create new cables, but I would highly NOT recommend it. Your repair tech doesn't particularly sound like he's trying to squeeze money from you given the problems you described.

stoatwblr

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
"Bad cable" happens fairly regularly in service work.

In reality it's seldom that the wires along the cable are broken (unless it's been crimped in some tight spot), but is much more often a bad connector pin (loss of tension/dirty) or bad wire-to-pin attachment (poor contact) in the actual plugs on each end of the cable.

Plugs and sockets are one of the least reliable parts of electronics, because they're prone to contamination.