Is it possible to get a virus from adding someone on Skype? A call?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phomatic

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Is it possible to get a virus from just adding someone on Skype?

What about getting onto a Skype call with them?

Thanks

Solution
Unfortunately, Philip's link doesn't work for me.

Is it possible just from adding? Nope. When you add, you just exchange contact details and see each other's information, but nothing malicious can be done by pressing accept. What happens afterward, is an issue. If they send a link or a file and it contains viruses, if you download it, you can be infected. I generally used to avoid skype links and files as a whole.

Is it possible to get it from a call? Nope. You can freely talk to someone without any issues. Although, if nothing has changed from a while ago, you have access to person's IP during the calls, not sure though.

As for my opinion, I have stopped using Skype in general due to it being a massive security issue, the constant...

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Unfortunately, Philip's link doesn't work for me.

Is it possible just from adding? Nope. When you add, you just exchange contact details and see each other's information, but nothing malicious can be done by pressing accept. What happens afterward, is an issue. If they send a link or a file and it contains viruses, if you download it, you can be infected. I generally used to avoid skype links and files as a whole.

Is it possible to get it from a call? Nope. You can freely talk to someone without any issues. Although, if nothing has changed from a while ago, you have access to person's IP during the calls, not sure though.

As for my opinion, I have stopped using Skype in general due to it being a massive security issue, the constant IP leaks, bots and other forms of malware spread are just plain annoying. Additionally, constant security issues, I do not think it is as reliable anymore, considering that there are alternatives now.

Hopefully, this answers your question. Good luck!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.