Is it possible to overclock a Core M5-6y54

SirJokingly

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
This is probably a stupid question but I was wondering if its possible to oc an M5-6y54, if so how do you do it?

Solution
In general, I say DON'T OC A LAPTOP.

There are a couple of reasons why laptops use lower power processors and not desktop processors. 1. battery 2. heat.

For this thread, HEAT is your enemy. Laptops are already finely tuned to give you the highest power possible while avoiding over-heating. OC means you are going to introduce more heat to this finely design. On a desktop, you put in more fans, faster fans, bigger heatsink, even go liquid, but can't in a laptop.
In general, I say DON'T OC A LAPTOP.

There are a couple of reasons why laptops use lower power processors and not desktop processors. 1. battery 2. heat.

For this thread, HEAT is your enemy. Laptops are already finely tuned to give you the highest power possible while avoiding over-heating. OC means you are going to introduce more heat to this finely design. On a desktop, you put in more fans, faster fans, bigger heatsink, even go liquid, but can't in a laptop.

Solution

Mister_MO

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
This cpu you have is meant to be passive, so there wont be much room to get more from it unless your notebook have fan because of thermal throttling. If you want get better performance from it, there are 2 ways. If its is cheaper chinese laptop, they have most of time insufficient cooling and are using thermal pads, so most of time you replace this pad with copper shim and proper thermal paste. But if it have proper cooling solution there is not much gained even with new paste. Other way is using intel extreme tuning utility, or intel xtu for short. This allows you to overclock if your cpu supports it (and this one doesnt) or increase tdp limit. For intel core M cpu increasing tdp limit can make quite difference but it will run hotter unless you try undervolt it. Lower core voltage means less heat, so you can try that too.

SirJokingly

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017

ok cool thanks for letting me know how to get better performance