Is it possible to upgrade laptop GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Depends on the laptop. It is possible with some of the higher end systems from Sager and Alienware. Asus laptops seem to use a proprietary version of the MXM slot, so it will only be upgradeable with a card from Asus. Also, keep in mind that laptop graphics cards are difficult to find and generally cost a good deal more than their desktop counter parts.

If you want some more info, take a look here: http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/index.html
Depends on the laptop. It is possible with some of the higher end systems from Sager and Alienware. Asus laptops seem to use a proprietary version of the MXM slot, so it will only be upgradeable with a card from Asus. Also, keep in mind that laptop graphics cards are difficult to find and generally cost a good deal more than their desktop counter parts.

If you want some more info, take a look here: http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/index.html

Solution

jasongom

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Thanks!
Its funny that you mention the exact laptop i was looking at! or the brand...
Asus G73!

So you "could" upgrade the cpu or the gpu but its too much of an hassle right?
Im asking this question cuz i want to know if asus will refresh their G73 line by june?

Im new to asus so I want to know this. I think they refresh every spring and fall am i right?

That seems to have been the case at least this year, but it could also have to do with the release of new products like the Mobility 5870 and GTX 460M (the last two most recent updates). I believe that Intel is releasing the new Sandy Bridge mobile processors some time in Q1 of next year, so you will more than likely see a new CPU refresh around that time. As far as GPUs go, it's going to depend on where NV and AMD are in their product lives.

The CPU in the Asus machine is upgradeable, but since it comes with the i7-740QM the only places you have to go are the 840QM and the 940XM which are probably more expensive than they are worth. At the moment, I don't know if the mobile sandy bridge CPUs will work in the current socket. I know that the desktop platform is changing socket types.

In Asus' case, you will only be able to upgrade it with a card that comes from Asus or one of their laptops. You may be able to contact them and get a new card if/when it's released but I am not sure of how likely a scenario that will be.

jasongom

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
bah! thats why im wary about going into gaming/performance laptops...its so hard to upgrade them. And i dont think building your own computer is worthwhile in college as it is so cumbersome to deal with.

What brand do you suggest? Also do you think laptop upgrading is worthwhile? Or is it better to wait a few years and change systems altogether?

1) Depends on what you are looking to do with the laptop. If it's for gaming then Asus and Sager seem to offer the best systems at good prices. I hear too many complaints about the screens and keyboards on MSI laptops and I feel that Alienware is too gimmicky. If you are now leaning more toward a general use laptop, I have always had good luck with Dell and their new XPS line looks pretty appealing to me.

2) It really depends on what parts you are trying to upgrade. Parts like HDDs and RAM are generally easy and cheap to do. With CPUs, it's usually not too difficult to find one that will work with your system, it just comes down to price. GPUs can often be difficult to match with a system, can be a pain to track down and then generally cost a small fortune. But yes, I do think that some upgrades are worth it.

jasongom

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
I love gaming and I want to game on the laptop so yeah i need a pretty performance punching laptop lol!

Well i was thinking about upgrading more integral components like cpu and gpu mainly. Do you think a gpu upgrade after about 2 years is worth it?

Personally, no I don't think it's worth it. You are talking about putting around $500-600 into the new graphics card which is a third of the cost of the system. My laptop was a gaming laptop and I have kinda gotten away from them for that reason.

There's another option to consider. You can always purchase a laptop with a mid-range card like a 5650 or GT 435M for around $1000 and then use the rest of it to put towards a desktop. That way you have a laptop that can game for when you travel or for schoolwork (not sure your situation) and then you get the desktop as your main gaming system. Just a thought.

jasongom

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Lol I actually thought about that! I had already decided all the components i wanted in it...i7 950, gtx 580, tri channel corsair 6gb, corsair h70 liquid cooling, asus sabertooth x58 lol

I was seriously considering it...but in college im going to be moving around a lot, and lugging around a full desktop is kind of a hazzle. Also during my later years Ill prob study more than i play games so...yeah...especially traveling...thats when it will get the most troublesome...

so i decided to get a gaming laptop with a small laptop for my travel companion in my day to day use.

BUT THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION! I think your right tho...upgrading laptop components is pretty pricey and not worth the cost.

I guess ill just have to hope for a refresh thatll add a SB i7 cpu, and an upgraded nvidia gfx card...

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES MAN! it was really helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.