Is It Time To Break Up AT&T Again?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
[citation][nom]whatwhatjbdo[/nom]Hey...you still have a choice of other carriers...they arent taking your Sprint or Verizon or MetroPCS[/citation]

NOT METRO PIECE OF SHIT!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i read a few of these. and you forget one major thing

when they buy a company, they acquire all their infrastructure.

a buyout is a fast and easy way to quickly upgrade. it may not be the most cost efficient, but it does wonders in a time constraint.

now i would love to see these people upgrade, but again, its all about cost efficiantcy.

if i headed a big company like them, i wouldnt upgrade a damn thing till that thing at the very least payed for itself twice over.

you have to realize that you cant just dump your cell towers and get new ones imediatly. if it were me i would have a 10 year cycle for towers in rural areas, and probably a 2 year cycle in cities. and a 6 month in major metropolitan areas, possibly a year long but somewere reasonable.

i dont expect at&t to be great, but i expect upgrades to happen.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Interestingly in my ethics class in university we discussed the 1984 breakup of AT&T and its subsequent reformation back to its old self.

I am in favor of intervening (yet) again, as the old AT&T was broken up for a good reason.

d1zzle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]How about AT&T buys FTC next! End of all antitrust risks![/citation]
They probably already have.

d1zzle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
If AT&T would just play nice it wouldn't be such a big deal.
Instead, it seems the bigger AT&T gets, the more mafia-esque it's tactics.

History really does repeat itself when you're talking about the Deathstar. There was a reason it got broken up in the first place.

Luke Skywalker...we need you!

G

Obama is the biggest corporate shill since Reagan. He went to Brazil will a bunch of CEOs. Them allowing this tool company to form into a monopoly again proves it.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]whatwhatjbdo[/nom] Look at other countries in the world...how many would you say have 4-5 MAIN competing carriers...none really[/citation]

UK - Orange, O2, Vodafone, T-Mobile, Three

Status
Not open for further replies.