Is it too late to get a OG VIVE?

alexswede

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
Ive been thinking about getting an HTC Vive for a very long time now, after spending a couple days with it while staying at a friends. Ive done the Steam VR test and my PC should run the system fine, but im wondering if its worth waiting a bit longer for a possible price drop, or just waiting until the next gen vr systems come out. Id prefer not having my brand new VIVE get outclassed just half a year after i bought it, but im also extremely excited at the prospect of VR.

My room size is about 2.5x2.5 meters (probably not accurate, just looked around and estimated) and my PC specs are as follows:
GTX Geforce 1060 6GB Founders Edition (overclocked)
i5-4570
14GB RAM (dont ask why its not 16)
450W Power supply
(idk if monitors matter but heres mine anyways) Acer Predator XB271HU and ASUS VX238H

Solution
>> Im more worried that they will stop supporting or making games for the OG Vive

That isn't a very sound concern. They software is mostly independent of the hardware outside of the controller inputs. The VR community has been doing pretty well to make the underlying code transfer between systems. (per my little knowledge).

The only thing that is going to get depreciated (With HTC) is the controller tracking hardware. The OG HTC Vive Trackers aren't compatible with the new hardware, but I am not sure about the v1 controllers. Note: This is has no reverence to your buying decision.

Also.. the HTC Wireless Connector isn't compatible from V1 to Pro.

Mr5oh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
You know I put off buying a HTC Vive for quite a while, especially when I heard the next gen one was coming out. Then they released the Vive Pro and I realized the price difference wasn't worth it to me. So I bought the original. I immediately wished I hadn't waited so long. I do wish I had a larger play area, as I'm office is pretty much limited to standing or sitting games.

There is always something new coming. If you are always waiting for the next big thing to come along, you'll be waiting forever.

alexswede

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017

Im not worried of getting next gen cuase of Higher res or refresh rate. Im more worried that they will stop supporting or making games for the OG Vive. In regards to that is it still worth waiting?

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
>> Im more worried that they will stop supporting or making games for the OG Vive

That isn't a very sound concern. They software is mostly independent of the hardware outside of the controller inputs. The VR community has been doing pretty well to make the underlying code transfer between systems. (per my little knowledge).

The only thing that is going to get depreciated (With HTC) is the controller tracking hardware. The OG HTC Vive Trackers aren't compatible with the new hardware, but I am not sure about the v1 controllers. Note: This is has no reverence to your buying decision.

Also.. the HTC Wireless Connector isn't compatible from V1 to Pro.

Solution

Mr5oh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004

I'm with Tri23, there just isn't enough of the VR systems out there for them to stop supporting the install base of the original Vive system.

Now I don't know what Tri23 is talking about with the wireless connector, it works with both the original Vive and Pro headsets? You just need an extra piece to attach it to the Pro headset?