Solved! So I want to get into VR Gaming, and have some questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandrious1

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Hey all.

So I am looking for advice on getting into VR. My rig should be powerful enough. I have a i7 7700k 5.0GHZ OC and two GTX1080 TI EVGA FTW3 Hybrids as well. M.2 970 Samsung Pro and 4266MHZ Trident Z Ram.

I been hearing about how new headsets are coming out and what not, and I am unsure if I should go with a HTC Vive which I can get for 400, or a Oculus Rift that I can get for 299, or I should wait for the HTC Vive Pro to come down in price which apparently can give a sharper image and higher resolution. I learned that the Rift is coming out with a new model as well soon, thats supposedly much cheaper than the HTC Vive Pro. I just dont see it worth spending 1300 dollars on a VR Headset kit lie the HTC Vive pro is right now.

Could anyone tell me any pros and cons? What to look out for? I wish to do both sit down and stand up VR play. Any advice would be fantastic.

Solution
Your rig is definitely powerful enough.

I'd consider the recent activity around the Oculus. It appears that Facebook are taking it down the path of lower quality, lower price and convenience over getting the best/ most immersive experience.
Apparently Oculus co-founder Brendan Iribe left FB because of this move away from developing for cutting edge experiences.

I own a Dev2 Oculus, and plenty of titles, but given the above I'm seriously thinking of a Vive if I decide to buy consumer model at some point in the future.

The Vive pro doesn't look good value for consumers - from what I've read you don't get much of the kit - sensors etc, and it's not very comfortable (in comparison to the non pro).

Hope this info helps.

Alexandrious1

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Also I learned that you can actually go beyond the Native per Eye resolution on steam games for either first gen headset simply by having powerful enough Hardware. And theirs even VRSLI. Would I be able to do Skyrim VR for example at much higher Eye resolution by utilizing VRSLI with my two GTX 1080 TI FTW3 Hybrids?

Rob Frostick

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Your rig is definitely powerful enough.

I'd consider the recent activity around the Oculus. It appears that Facebook are taking it down the path of lower quality, lower price and convenience over getting the best/ most immersive experience.
Apparently Oculus co-founder Brendan Iribe left FB because of this move away from developing for cutting edge experiences.

I own a Dev2 Oculus, and plenty of titles, but given the above I'm seriously thinking of a Vive if I decide to buy consumer model at some point in the future.

The Vive pro doesn't look good value for consumers - from what I've read you don't get much of the kit - sensors etc, and it's not very comfortable (in comparison to the non pro).

Hope this info helps.

Reactions: johnmartin789
Solution
Apr 11, 2019
There are also several headsets designed to work with mobile phones, including the Daydream View, the Samsung Gear VR, and a wide variety of headsets compatible with Google's Cardboard platform vivavideomaker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.