Is it wise to buy a refurbished laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

stan10

Honorable
May 23, 2013
Hi guys
I came across this laptop here
DELL Inspiron 17R-5720 PB Notebook Intel Core i5 3210M(2.50GHz) 17.3" 6GB Memory 1TB HDD DVDRW Intel HD Graphics 4000

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200927 .

It seems like a nice and affordable system , however i don't really know if its wise to buy a refurbished laptop .
I would appreciate some advice from those who have had some experience with purchasing refurbished systems.

Here's the specification:

Peacock Blue
Operating System
Windows 8
CPU Type
Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5GHz
Memory Size
6GB
Hard Disk
1TB
Optical Drive
DVDRW
Graphics Card
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Video Memory
Shared memory

CPU
CPU Type
Intel Core i5
CPU Speed
3210M(2.50GHz)

Display
Screen Size
17.3"
Wide Screen Support
Yes

Operating Systems
Operating System
Windows 8

Graphics
GPU/VPU
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Video Memory
Shared system memory
Graphic Type
Integrated Card

Hard Drive
HDD
1TB
HDD Interface
SATA

Memory
Memory
6GB

Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type
DVDRW

Communications
WLAN
802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
Bluetooth
Yes

Supplemental Drive
Webcam
Yes

Power
Battery
6-cell lithium ion

Astralv

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Depends what you planning to do with it. Refurbished is ok- they replaced broken part- no big deal- computers made to replace parts- it is like Lego. However, it is not the best deal you can find. I did not shop for laptop lately, not sure about prices, but the specs for this machine are very basic- could probably find New with the same specs. The only thing cool about it is 17” screen size- that is if you keep it at home.

Refurbished is fine, so long as you are OK with very minor dents/scratches. If anything, they're less likely to be DOA than a new one - they've been thoroughly tested.

Whether or not it's necessarily a good deal is another matter - not sure. It certainly won't game well due to the lack of a dGPU, and the screen isn't going to be great.

I think you're pretty safe going with a Dell refurbish. They are all tested and certified as working before going back on the shopping block. Plus, I'm fairly certain Dell offers a warranty with each unit. If budget limits you to refurbished, then I'd say go for it.

Note: You might want to check out http://outlet.dell.com/ You may find a better deal than going through Newegg. I bought my laptop as a scratch and dent through Dell's Outlet Program some six years ago (nothing against Newegg - they get all my other business).

-Wolf sends

stan10

Honorable
May 23, 2013
thanks guys for your replys , i really appreciate them . @wolfshadw what advantages are there when buying through dell outlet ? are the systems cheaper on dell outlet ? can i find refurbished systems directly on dell's website?

I can't say that systems are cheaper (or more expensive) as I've not done a price comparison. I would expect them to be cheaper as when dealing directly with Dell, you do not have to deal with a middle man. As much as I love Newegg, they do need to make a profit. You should be able to find Dell refurbish/Scratch and Dents through their outlet site. I purchased my scratch and dent at about a 30% discount about six years ago and she's still running fine.

-Wolf sends

Status
Not open for further replies.