Is it worth paying for an antivirus program

rds1220

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
I just started a new tech job and the manager I work for insist that it is best to buy an anti-virus because free versions such as Avast doesn't give enough coverage. What do you guys think, is it worth the price? Right now my main protection is Avast for virus protection and Malwarebytes for malware, trojans and back door root kits. I pretty much never go onto the internet the only time I go onto the internet is to play games like COD, BF3 and other games in multiplayer roles. To me I can't see spending money on a antivirus program when I don't do anything on it other than game and rarely go onto the interent. Also I don't want a bunch of junk running in the background that could affect gaming performance.

Solution
Yea, not a fan of Norton either. One way around it is to have a HDD for work and a HDD for play. Sounds like you might be on a laptop, so just leave the HDD door off, and swap out as need be (I did that for years at my last company).

Alternatively, you could package a work system within VMWare or VirtualBox. Run that system in full screen when you're at work, install 360 on that, and your boss won't be any the wiser. :)

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
If you're a cautious user and don't click OK to every popup window and open every email, then avast and malwarebytes should be plenty good. if they force you to use a paid version, I'd ask the company to pay for it.

rds1220

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011

Like I said I really NEVER go onto the internet to begin with. I guess it's still possible to get a virus even if you don't go onto the internet. They do "give" you free aoftware but it's Norton 360 and I don't like it. I don't like Norton and I really don't think it's that great of a program. IMO the worst anti-virus/malware stuff is Norton, Mcafree, and Kapersky. Three programs I will never put on my computer or recommend a customer.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Yea, not a fan of Norton either. One way around it is to have a HDD for work and a HDD for play. Sounds like you might be on a laptop, so just leave the HDD door off, and swap out as need be (I did that for years at my last company).

Alternatively, you could package a work system within VMWare or VirtualBox. Run that system in full screen when you're at work, install 360 on that, and your boss won't be any the wiser. :)

Solution

nikorr

Distinguished

Latest Norton is not bad at all. Kaspersky is on the top 3 for long time now.

Mcafree is for the long time disappointment for many.

What exactly is the source of your disappointments with Norton and Kapersky???