Is it worth rooting my (old) Android phone

capt_taco

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
So I'm in the awkward position of being really familiar with computer hardware, but a complete noob at phones. I have a T-Mobile Mytouch 4G that's going on 3 years old ... really, I could keep using this for another 2 years, as it's adequately powered for the phone/camera/Internet/light gaming I use it for.

What worries me is that it's still on Android 2.3.4 and no further "official" updates are coming as it was long ago EOL'd by the manufacturer. My wife's old phone on 2.0 or 2.1 started running into problems where a lot of newer apps wouldn't work, saying they did not include support for that OS version. Obviously, my OS is next on the firing line.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but what I understand is that:

- If I root the phone, I can update it to Ice Cream Sandwich or Jellybean and prolong its life

- I can also clean out a lot of the crapware that came with the phone (doesn't really bother me, but just wastes space)

- Rooting has gotten simple enough that there are basically foolproof download-and-run ways to do it if you're willing to spend 10 minutes reading a guide.

Mainly, the first point about the OS is what I need advice on - am I right about needing to do that eventually, or is it more of an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of thing? I'm also only beginning to look at the other kinds of things you can do with a rooted phone, so if anyone has cost/benefit opinions about that, I'd really appreciate hearing. Thanks!

foodiegamer

Honorable
May 12, 2013
Heres my two cents
Rooting usally lets you upgrade to new officals if possible or even a custom rom that can extend the life
If you really do intend to use for 2 more years it may in your interest to see what options you have for custom roms
It also sounds like your not a newbie to the software/tech world so rooting should be well within your garsp
and about if it aint broke done fix it,it sounds like its going to be broke soon

capt_taco

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

Well, OK, it sounds like something I ought to start looking into. One other thing I read yesterday concerning Android security - made it sound like if you're on a really old OS version, you're more vulnerable to malware and such. Is that BS, or is there a real value to being on the newest version?