Is Macbook Pro good for me?

hms8

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Hey guys,

I want a laptop for web development and Linux dual booting. Is Macbook Pro good for me?

If not what is the best alternative? I need a laptop with Core i7 and long life bettery (more than 4 hours)

Solution
The applebasher in me says "of course not, it's a macbook!" :p

But now the more reasonable approach: why do you need a dualboot? I'm a webdevelopper myself and I only use linux. Also, an i7 is a bit overkill unless you plan on video editing or heavy 3D rendering. Those two points will do nothing but drive the price up, which is money you could put into something else.

If you state your budget, I can see if there's a good alternative.

Wouter Termont

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
The applebasher in me says "of course not, it's a macbook!" :p

But now the more reasonable approach: why do you need a dualboot? I'm a webdevelopper myself and I only use linux. Also, an i7 is a bit overkill unless you plan on video editing or heavy 3D rendering. Those two points will do nothing but drive the price up, which is money you could put into something else.

If you state your budget, I can see if there's a good alternative.

Solution

hms8

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

So you are saying Core i7 is very much for programming or web development? My is budget is around $1000. The main reason I thought about MacBook Pro is it has very long battery. If there is windows laptop can give same performance and life battery, I would not hesitate to buy it :D

Wouter Termont

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Indeed, an i7 is unnecessary for everything that doesn't need heavy multithreading. A 4th gen i5 would be a much better choice, imho. Battery life of most ultrabooks is reasonable to very good. But if you can afford it, by all means buy a Macbook. They're very good hardware, I'm just no great fan of apple's software and firm strategy.