Is Microsoft Gambling Away Its Windows Empire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopopo

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Windows has become stagnant and more derivative over time. Vista was kinda of mad dash to copy other OS's and what they were doing right. This evolution mirrors Microsoft as a company ( not fiscally but identity wise). So as it turns out nothing lasts forever and windows might fall of it's high horse. I like windows and hope it does not but it could happen.
What should we take with us from all this? Well Windows became pupular beacuse it's GUI was simple and effective but could scale well with 3rd party software. Also the standartization that Windows brought to the industry really helped the PC grow as a platform. I personaly would like to have a very basic OS standardized across the board ( drivers and such) which comes with every PC sold. Then 3rd party software could be made to change this OS to the end users need. A body could oversee it's development and everyone would be happy beacuse they could change it's look and feal at anytime. Nevertheless my idea is a mixed bag and has many flaws ( but I like standarts).

Balshoy

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
I can't wait to see the AMD hand movement recognition system at work... now for that I would pay big... imagine... being able to move things on a screen like a conductor, like Minority report... only better.

Seriously now, touch-screens?... Just imagine having to stay with your arms stretched in front of the monitor... for hours... it's damn awful... minutes even and it's a big pain in the rear... neah... touch-screens are for good keyboards only. Hand gestures... now that's the future.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I for myself compare Windows Vista to a Toyota Camry that runs on a 20 year old engine.

Are you refering to the PC hardware architecture (front side bus)? Being the Vista was written from the ground up, I don't understand the analogy. The kernel, driver model, and many other features are new.

What I see as dated is the exterior, or body design. People (like my parents) find the file system difficult.

"Where the hell is the file I just scanned?". "How can I send it as an attachment in an email?"

I told him that he can right-click files and select Send To -> Mail Recipient. It is far from intuitive for many people.

Being a programmer geek, it is easier for me to figure things out. It is still hard for the casual users (especially the baby boomers).

G

good article... but why does market share have to fall to apple??? how about linux???

dragunover

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
No way would I pay for Apple...Unless they magically distribute their software,which doesn't treat you like a total DA.Which it does.

I would much rather see an advanced Ubuntu computer,with Open-GL 3,and playing all my games on there,on my ISP that isn't a sadistical figure hiding behind my modem.

G

So Did you even bother to look at windows 7?

and "another vista" comment ... 90% of the problems can be summed up with "stupid people, stupid hardware companies, and people unwilling to upgrade to new tech" none of those are microsoft's fault.

It is people like the article's author that are to blame for the "vista problem".

Status
Not open for further replies.