Is my ASUS K455L Windows 8 Laptop doing okay..?

Jul 21, 2018
So it started when there was a buzzing sound with the laptop. Combined with severe freezing, FPS drops and other performance issues while playing Overwatch (everything was fine until now), I decided to shut down the laptop but when I booted it up it said Preparing Automatic Repair, followed by Diagnosing Your PC. After that it brought me to the Aption Setup Ultility. Not knowing what it was, I tried the Quit without saving option but it instantly brought me back to the start screen. After using the Quit and Save option it finally brought me back to another black screen. After waiting for a long time I decided something was wrong and force shut down the laptop via the power button.

After booting and more waiting, it eventually showed me a blue screen with a bunch of options (Troubleshoot and restore). Assuming this was the safe mode of windows 8, I went to Restore and chose Refresh my PC. After everything it eventually went to Restoring your PC (x%). Admitting my mistake, I switched off the power adapter because that was gonna help somehow and the screen went blank. I assumed it could only run when connected to power as it was technically still in safe mode, so I plugged it back and booted it again. The next half hour was a cycle of Preparing Automatic Repair, black screen with cursor, reboot, Preparing Automatic Repair, black screen with cursor, reboot.

After being patient enough to wait at the black screen with cursor part (i was actually typing this post when something showed up), the “Safe Mode” (blue screen with options) showed up again. Instead of the Refresh option (because when it was actually refreshing, it was only 6% after an hour and I didn’t have enough time to wait that long), I went to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Restore to an earlier date. I went through the process without issues and it eventually brought me to a blue screen with a System Restore window open and Initializing above a bar. No percentages, no Close Window/Minimise/Full Screen, just a looping loading bar and my cursor which was interestingly only moving at 30 FPS, seemingly with the same issues that popped up in my game before. Keep in mind that the Laptop was not stable at all during this whole process, everytime I clicked on something it would freeze for a moment before actually going through, and the buzzing noise was still going, which combined with the constant jets and planes flying over my home, really stopped my attempts to calm down and make rational decisions, which was why I wasn’t thinking straight and shut off the power after the failed Refreshing part.

Right now I just want to know if my laptop is okay right until the initializing part, and if possible an estimate for when it will be finished, or if it will even finish the System Restore without a System Restore Failed screen (if those exist). Oh wait, it just changed to Restoring Files! No other changes though.

Solution
Right about now, I'd ask you to see if you can backup your critical content when in Safe Mode. it's quite possible that the OS has been corrupted. You're going to have to reinstall the system since anything you'll do is more of a resource wastage.

Looking through your laptop's support page, it should be operating off Windows 8.1. You're stating that it's on Windows 8. I would've suggested repair install for your OS but it actually works on Windows 10 with mixed to varying results on Windows 8.1 thus the point about reinstalling the OS.

Please add the SKU to your laptop for us to double check ;)

I edited your post to include spacing. It was a wall of text.
Lutfij

Lutfij

Splendid
Right about now, I'd ask you to see if you can backup your critical content when in Safe Mode. it's quite possible that the OS has been corrupted. You're going to have to reinstall the system since anything you'll do is more of a resource wastage.

Looking through your laptop's support page, it should be operating off Windows 8.1. You're stating that it's on Windows 8. I would've suggested repair install for your OS but it actually works on Windows 10 with mixed to varying results on Windows 8.1 thus the point about reinstalling the OS.

Please add the SKU to your laptop for us to double check ;)

I edited your post to include spacing. It was a wall of text.
Lutfij

Solution
Jul 21, 2018
Just to give some insight on what’s going on, here’s my screen https://imgur.com/a/zJKup7l
Thanks for the tips, although I couldn’t back up my OS in safe mode since I didn’t have a hard drive with enough space. I also don’t want to force shut down as I’m afraid it would damage my files since it’s still “restoring” them now. Any other options?