Is my computer sellable?

Denise1950

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
I bought an old computer. I think it's got Windows from the mid to late 1990's. All I have available is dial-up service...and it constantly and immediately drops the connection. Then I found out it has a dead battery and they don't manufacture them anymore. Is this computer sellable or should I give up on it? It's a Sony LI-ION.

lunyone

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
More than likely it's not worth the $ to try and fix and is probably not worth selling. Do you have any more information about the computer?

if it a desktop the cmos battery are standard. for laptops you have to google the part number of the battery they may be a 3 party replacement. for the network issue i would replace the nic card. if it part of the mb then i would by a new card and disable the old one. Myself i look into a company that would pay you to recycle your pc. just rember to wipe the data off the hard drive. you dont want your personal data getting into the hands of data theaves.

Denise1950

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

Thank you for your advice. Because I know next to nothing about computers, I think it's best that I just find a place to recycle it. There's nothing in the computer to delete, as I was never able to even use it. Can you tell me what company might buy it for recycling?

Mid to late 1990's is really a bit too old to be of any use... especially if replacement batteries are no longer manufactured. There is would be little to no (closer to no) value as a parts laptop.

My IBM ThinkPad T40 from 2002 has a bit of difficulty browsing the web because there are so many background codes and flash based ads that a 1.5GHz Pentium M struggles a bit to process everything. It's connected to a cable modem and I get something like 25mpbs which I am pretty sure is faster than dial up.

Denise1950

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

Thank you.